36mm mikuni carb set up

gramps52

Gramps52 Down Under
Reaction score
aussie newby . have 36 mikuni carbs from P Bertaut supposedly set up to use . not so . stock SF in good compression , has anyone sorted these out on a stock XS650
i,m in Australia close to sea level . any help much appreciated .

I think two 36s are a bit much for the 650. It is a popular size for conversion to single carb though. I'm currently running a 38 only because that is what I had. I like the performance of the single carb. The only thing I miss is pumper like effect of the vacuum slide on the CV carbs.

Gramps52, 2 mm. of venturi is not a big deal, but the rookies like to kick up drama over it. Don't be concerned; your VM36's will run just fine on a stock 650 motor, although they are a bit more than the bike really needs. Sure they'll deliver a little less down low, but if they're dialed in right you won't feel it in the seat of the pants.

The baselines widely posted for VM34's are also applicable to VM 36's. I know what should go in your carbs for US fuels, but I have no idea what the pumps deliver in Oz. Nor do I have any idea what Bertaut puts in the carbies, but I wouldn't be surprised if he cut a corner or two.

There's an old and very active XS650 club in Oz with members all over the continent. The Australian club counts more experienced performance tuners among its members than any other owners group I know of. A fast Google search will find them.

Hi gramps im in Springvale,and restoring a 1978 Special,pretty much sourcing all my bits from Mikes but was wondering where to get my carbs rebuilt.The bike has been sitting in mums backyard for 10 years and its a bit cruddy.Any tips you may have id be grateful.
Cheers Mark

Ok, gents, here's your link the the XS650 Club of Australia: www.xs650.org.au . If you haven't joined, you should--there are members there with decades of hands-on experience with every aspect of XS650 internals.

Hi gramps im in Springvale,and restoring a 1978 Special,pretty much sourcing all my bits from Mikes but was wondering where to get my carbs rebuilt.The bike has been sitting in mums backyard for 10 years and its a bit cruddy.Any tips you may have id be grateful.
Cheers Mark

hey Mark , i have a set of std 38 cv's here if you need any bits or complete set ,most new parts in them from Miles .

cheers mate , i have it running sweet at idle , off the line . and transition to mid range . up on main jet is fluffy . have 170 now and have been down to 140 .figure it's nice to about 120 klm , might prevent me flogging a new motor . thanks for your help

Back