3DogNate's '83 XS650 Build

3dognate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
3DogNate's '83 XS650 Build - Done

So... I ended up doing some trading around and ended up picking up this '83 XS650S in boxes today. The deal came with a ton of extra parts... The highlights are probably the minty 750 tank, extra wheels... Alloy rims... bug eye café seat, Old School speed rear sets. I still need to go through the boxes and inventory exactly what I brought home. :) The guy that I got it from started to go Café with it but it's not so far along that I can't switch directions and go bobber, brat or ??? Not 100% sure what I want to do...
My last build was a CB360 Café bike (I'm currently rebuilding the top end with bigger pistons and a set of flat slides...) You can check it out here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37542.0

Here are some pics of what I hauled home.
null_zpse7e2cfb3.jpg

null_zps27f1f638.jpg

null_zps3ba94856.jpg

null_zpsdaf2a744.jpg

null_zps1c53a779.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. Look like you have the start of something good. Should be enough parts to build one. Hope the carbs are in the box. Have fun with it. :thumbsup:

Welcome. Look like you have the start of something good. Should be enough parts to build one. Hope the carbs are in the box. Have fun with it. :thumbsup:

Yes, the carbs are in there. I know they guy that tore it down, the bike was a strong running bike when it was broken down... But I might put some flat slides on it any way and not use the stock carbs. I should have the complete bike + stuff.

HOT DAMN that's a purty red tank!
Lookin through all those boxes is like christmas, eh.
Don't be surprised if someone hits you up for the spare wheels and welcome to the site.

Nice to have the carbs. The BS 34 are good carbs. Trouble free I never touched mine over 18000 miles started first time. Worth cleaning up even if you sell them.

HOT DAMN that's a purty red tank!
Lookin through all those boxes is like christmas, eh.
Don't be surprised if someone hits you up for the spare wheels and welcome to the site.

That tank and a bunch of stuff is about to go into the classifieds as soon as I can come up with reasonable asking prices for stuff.

I think I am going to try to use the 64 spoke wheel set and do either a soft tail or hard tail bobber... And keep it clean and simple and not dum a whole shit-ton of money into it like I did my CB. My little Honda has already filled my wants for a cafe bike (and money pit).

So, off the top of my head... The red tank, original tank and side covers, clubman bars, cafe seat and rear sets are going to go up for sale soon. I've got a ton of other original parts that will probably go up soon too.

Welcome home! You've got lots of great stuff there. There's also several XS pros lurking about this forum that can get you through any problem you might come up against. Some of them have been wrenching on XSs since back in the days when Kenny Roberts ruled flatrack on an XS. Some probably know him. They've taught me a lot.

Now... I'm for sure not going to to be doing a Cafe bike... now the big decision is...

Hardtail or Soft tail Bobber/Brat... I prefer a soft tail ride... but the big lumpy plates where the Swing arm pivots, Passenger Peg and Brake pivot is located at is just plain ugly on these bikes. Hard Tail gets rid of all that crap.

Oh... what to do?

For a bobber it's way too big, perfect for a Cafe bike though... plus it has already been sold.

It is big. Im not even sure exacly what I like about it so much but I do. Nice lines and I like the scalops on the sides. Yama is good at making a classic shape just edgy enough to be aggressive but still not so much that it looks out of place on a stocker. In my opinion anyway.

So in preparation of the hard tail kit that Brown Santa is bringing me tomorrow... I removed the shocks, swing arm and center stand today. I'll try to get the butt cut off this frame and the hard tail welded on by Sunday evening.

Question: should I try to reuse the existing brake stay? Or fab another from scratch for the hard tail. This is one thing I never really paid much attention to.
null_zps00cc8680.jpg

So, I did nothing on this bike all summer, I focused on working on my 360 and riding my Harley... So I am inspired to get some work on my xs650 during the winter... I'd like to at least get my frame welding done and engine cleaned up and at least get things mocked up so that I can get all the items like brake stay, brake pivot, chain tensioner, seat pins and hinge, tank bungs, etc. welded on (I'll tack everything with a MIG and take it to a real welder to be properly TIG welded.) Here's a pic if the carnage.

null_zps695b8055.jpg

Back