4th gear clip tightened, but now my clutch is slipping

jurgenkoppen

Backwoodsfreak
Reaction score
Hi good techies, I just did this fix by squeezing the $th gear clip with my vice. It seems to have worked well for the starter, except I did something wrong when I reinstalled the clutch basket. My clutch is grabbing way to softly now, the wheel will spin when on the centerstand, but not with sufficient power to move the bike forward. What went wrong. I installed the clutch in the same sequence it came off.....baffled

First start with easy.
Re adjust your clutch. If that dont help, search this site for kickstart install. it seams easy, but there are a few catches

I would say you don't have your pressure plate on right, is there front to back movement in the plates?

First start with easy.
Re adjust your clutch. If that dont help, search this site for kickstart install. it seams easy, but there are a few catches
I did the clutch re adjust with no change to the symptoms. Not sure how the kickstart install is relevant to tracing how my clutch reinstall went wrong?

I would say you don't have your pressure plate on right, is there front to back movement in the plates?
That I would have to find out tomorrow, when I am going to reopen the side where the clutch basket is. I did not even remove all the plates when I had the basket off today. Once I had the springs and its plate off, I just took the first driveplate, and driven plate respectively, drilled a small hole to bolt them together , to hold the basket while undoing the center nut. Then I slid off the whole assembly, kept it as one assembly and reinstalled it as one unit. I have no left over washers, so all went back in...

Did you index the clutch, as seen in this picture:
ClutchIndexSet.jpg

Nope, that must be the culprit then. I was not aware that there was an alignment mark. Will be back in there and get this arranged properly...I was just reading about this. Well, here is the consequence of my enterprising nature: reading up on the finer details after the fact...

Yes, for what many may consider a simple old bike, this one does have a whole host of "gotchas". But, if you do stupid shit like this to your 650 it's nobody's fault but your own. All the relevant info is out there and readily available for free.

Glad to help.......................its easy to overlook the indexing, but the clutch won't work right if you miss doing it.
Also you may have one that does not have the indexing like I just ran into, you will know you have the pressure plate in right when there is no movement in and out with the plates. So look it over before removing the screws.

Also you may have one that does not have the indexing like I just ran into, you will know you have the pressure plate in right when there is no movement in and out with the plates. So look it over before removing the screws.
Yes, thank you: I just saw the page which mentions that, and shows the image of aligning the tooth in the center of the qne spring boss.
ClutchInnerHubArrow.jpg

Yes, for what many may consider a simple old bike, this one does have a whole host of "gotchas". But, if you do stupid shit like this to your 650 it's nobody's fault but your own. All the relevant info is out there and readily available for free.
Well, that my errors are mine is clear. I would not think that it is stupidity to venture into the unknown. I also know that the only folks who never make errors are folk who never try anything new to them.

Are you saying there are XS650 clutches that do not have an indexing mark? I was not aware that there are XS650 parts like that.

PressurePlates.jpg

Yep, the early 70-73 clutches didn't have the indexing hole, and the splined pressure plate. Their pressure plates delivered their torque thru the spring mount posts...

All I'm saying is "look before you leap". I learned this many years ago when working on my brother's Honda 100 dirt bike. The kick starter fell off. When we looked, it was more than that, the whole shaft broke off. Well OK, split the cases and put a new shaft in ..... when I did that all the gears fell out on the table, lol. Doing a little research and/or having a manual would have prevented this. It's not a matter of trying something new and making errors. You don't have to make those mistakes. The proper procedures are spelled out and free for your perusal. Just grab the book before the wrench.

All I'm saying is "look before you leap". I learned this many years ago when working on my brother's Honda 100 dirt bike. The kick starter fell off. When we looked, it was more than that, the whole shaft broke off. Well OK, split the cases and put a new shaft in ..... when I did that all the gears fell out on the table, lol. Doing a little research and/or having a manual would have prevented this. It's not a matter of trying something new and making errors. You don't have to make those mistakes. The proper procedures are spelled out and free for your perusal. Just grab the book before the wrench.
OK, point taken. I was feeling a tad impatient today, and know that it is not good to be that way. However, despite seeing that, I still apparently did not have all my ducks in a row. Besides, the book I have did not even come close to mentioning alignment marks.

Back