650 Tracker electrical problem

hotshoe

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Guys, I need your help. I am building a tracker starting with a 1979 Special. I started the engine last week using the stock ignition switch and all the stock instruments. Everything worked great, all lights and the charging system working fine. I wanted to clean up the front end a bit so I removed the stock speedo and tach, I also removed the little panel that tells you when the blinkers are on or your brake light is not working. I took the locking mechanism off the stock ignition switch and relocated the switch placing a plastic disc behind the switch so the wires would not touch anything and short out. Now when I turn the key on the red wire from the switch is getting hot. It"s hot all the way back to the fuse. Not melting yet but pretty hot. And my charging system is not working. I did the slap test and that works fine. I was wondering if I need to ground the key switch or something? Do I need to jump certain wires or something because I no longer have the instruments connected. I am completely in the dark when working on electrical problems but I know you guys can help me fix the problem. Oh and I don't have any turn signals hooked up yet either. Maybe that has something to do with it. Thanks ahead of time because I know someone can help me.

Whenever you turn on the key, you should leave the kill switch in the OFF position, until you are ready to start the engine. If you have the kill switch in the RUN position, turning on the key may allow current to flow through one of the ignition coils. That can heat up an ignition coil, and possibly the red wire.

Your 1979 Special should have a total of 4 fuses. There is the main 20 amp fuse, and there are three 10 amp fuses. Remove all three of the 10 amp fuses. Then turn on the key and see if the red wire gets hot again. If it does not get hot then replace one of the fuses, check for heat.....................continue on adding one fuse at a time to determine which path is drawing a high current.

If you find nothing, unplug the regulator and see if that stops the wire from heating up. If you still can't find the problem, remove the tail/brake bulb and see if that helps.

Thanks retiredgentleman, went home, unplugged rear taillight, all 4 fuses, and ignition switch and turned the switch off on the handle bars. Felt the red wire and was still hot to the fuse holder. when I was assembling this bike I read on the forum that all electrical connections need to be very, very clean. So using a dremmel and small wire brush I had them looking better than new. I chased the wire thru the wiring harness and didn't see anything wrong. I then looked at the connection of the fuse holder crimp and the wire, noticed it was a little corroded and the connection wasn't that tight. I sprayed it off with DEOX and tightened the crimp. Wow, the wire cooled down I plugged everything back, in wire stayed cool, fired it up and all systems work and the battery is charging at 13.79 volts. I can only think that it was trying to make a connection and was having trouble maybe arcing and that was heating up the wire. So thanks again and all systems are working fine.
HOTSHOE

If your bike still has the original 4 position fuse panel, with the 4 glass fuses, it is worn out. Toss out that old fuse panel, and install new automotive blade type fuse holders.

OK guys thanks to Retiredgentleman and others I now have my 650 tracker charging and all LED lights except one working. I have LED turn signals, LED neutral light in the speedo, LED back light in the speedo,LED high beam light in the speedo, the only one in the speedo I can't figure out is the LED flasher indicator. Do I run a wire to the flasher and plug it in there, or is there a wire in the birds nest inside the headlight bucket I should use? I know on the stock set up the indicator light socket is grounded and a green and a brown wire run to it. Which ever signal is on sends current to the bulb and lights it. But with the LED I only have 1 wire. I know one of you guys will know which colored wire I should use or if I run a wire straight to the flasher. Thanks in advance.

I had one wire only for the turn signal indicator in my after market speedometer. I ran a wire from the positive of both left and right signal lights, and put a diode on each before connecting to the turn signal indicator, so that current would not pass from one signal light through the turn signal indicator to the other signal light. Works great.

Back