'72 XS from Indonesia, from junk to cafe racer

nedo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

so here's my first post in the forum, and first of all excuse me for my "not to good english", just want to share the love to this XS project. To be honest i dont build this bike all my self, so my knowledge technical things in this project might be minimum. Luckily i have great friends that lend their hands to make this project happens.

So i picked this '72 motor up last year. The motor was totally dead, picked this motor from a friend of mine. The engine parts inside the motor were stock and i found almost everything in there.

1-45.jpg

Just shocked when we started to tear the motor apart, the engine was soaked by water. Look like it was put at someone's backyard or junkyard for a couple of year. :doh:

xs1.jpg

Meanwhile my friend get the job done with the motor, i ordered some parts form mike XS. At the end of the engine rebuild, the motor was powdercoated. So happy with the result, she's just looks like a brand new motor :)

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

to be continued.... :)
hope you like it :thumbsup:

After got the motor done, im looking forward for ordering a Xs copy frame from a friend of mine..

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

the frame was made from seamless steel and using Xs stock frame to make sure it could well fitted with the motor. And so here's the frame.. :wink2:

IMG_1057.jpg

For the tires, im gonna put 19" on the front and 16" on the rear. I really love Xs's from Anbu Custom, so i want "bulk looks" on my cafe racer.. I put 4.00 19" and 5.00 16" for this bike :wink2:
My mistake, i miss some measurement for the front wheel. It happened because the fork i ordered was late because of the shipping, so i bought the tires first before knew the actual measurement of the front section :doh:

IMG_1311.jpg

the gap between the tire and fram was just too small (even the motor was not installed yet) :banghead::banghead: So i brought it back and adding some plate on the front frame to give more space between the tire and the frame.. :D

IMG_1434.jpg

problem solved now :thumbsup:

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

How do you think ? :)

Very impressive work. I enjoy seeing builds and shops from the other side of the world...

That frame builder has it going on! Some serious talent there.

Hi, thks for the response guys.. Yes so lucky that here in Indonesia we have plenty people that are talented enough to do custom things for the motorcycle, even with the most simple equipment at their garage and the service costs much cheaper than on the western countries..
but the main problem here is the taxes for >400cc bikes are just ridiculous, it takes more than 200% for the taxes.. for example a brand new HD sportster that costs around 8000-1000 USD will cost 45.000 USD here in Indonesia.. so it just quadrupled the price..
in my case, i paid 2.700 USD for this XS motor, now in Indonesia people starting to have Xs fever, the demands for Xs motor are getting higher than ever, and now it costs around 3.500-3.900 USD for the motor only.. crazy right :shrug::shrug:

So i got the adaptor for the rear and front brake done.. got the sportster peanut tank for the tank, and im using a custom clip bar for this Xs cafe racer.. finally she's started to looked like a motorcycle :bike:

IMG_1683.jpg

So we're going to chop the rear tail on the frame and make a racer hornet..

IMG_1678.jpg

Got the tail chopped, now we're working on the center box for all of the electrical stuffs. :thumbsup:

IMG_1779.jpg

Sweet build, looking forward seeing the progress of this. Talented guys ;) I know about the prices in TAX here its 180% on top of a car price....

Keep up the good work.

Sweet build, looking forward seeing the progress of this. Talented guys ;) I know about the prices in TAX here its 180% on top of a car price....

Keep up the good work.

Hi thanks vsop-dk, so i guess its not only Indonesia that suffers from that kind of ridiculously high tax for motorcycle :( But i hope u enjoy this project's progres thou :)

So here's another update from my project, its almost the latest progres actually..
- Got the disc brake & the caliper installed both rear and front
- The center box for the electrical stuff is done
- The tail section is done (so happy with the result)

some pics of the updates

made a simple triple tree for the bike, because i found that the triple tree that got from the fork is not sleek enough because it has adaptor mount for the handlebars.

IMG_2048.jpg

And this is how she looks right now...

IMG_2053.jpg

and

IMG_2050.jpg

and my favourite angle :D

IMG_2052.jpg

so i hope u guys enjoy what i shared, really excited with this project.. response and critics are welcome :bike::thumbsup:

The engine looks great and I really like the sheet metal work on the rear.. I personally prefer the original tank for a café styled bike, but the sportster tank looks pretty good too! Keep the pictures coming!

You guys are fab wizards! If you do requests how about a pic or 3 of how you did the rear m/c and pedal?
And yes I think the prices are crazy high.

Welcome. Like the bike. Going to be a nice ride when finished. Good to see your build. have fun.

The engine looks great and I really like the sheet metal work on the rear.. I personally prefer the original tank for a café styled bike, but the sportster tank looks pretty good too! Keep the pictures coming!

thats really built by hand! impressive

Thks for the comment guys :)

So the reason why i choose the sportster tank is because here in Indonesia people are crazy about cafe racer.. i mean seriously everybody looking for classic bike (mostly Honda CB) and turn it into cafe racer.. and its just boring because we have too many "normal cafe racer" in Indonesia, so i thought that its gonna be fun if i put peanut tank on it, so it slightly look like a bobber racer.. :wink2:

You guys are fab wizards! If you do requests how about a pic or 3 of how you did the rear m/c and pedal?
And yes I think the prices are crazy high.

oops my bad, i was on my job duty when suddenly the tail already finished.. but i will post more pic about step by step of making another part i promise.. :thumbsup:

The updates:
- Meanwhile searching for the repair kit of my 38 stock carbs im gonna using keihin PE 28.. Its just too small for the Xs? Yes its so small but most of the Xs owner in Indonesia replace their stock carbs with this carbs.. the pros of using this carbs are, its very easy to tune, easy to get & cheap price, and of course the fuel consumption is better than the big carbs.. one of my friend, he does a really great tuning on his Xs using this small keihin PE and the bike runs very good with speed more that 150kph when he went touring..

IMG_2033.jpg

- So i just ordered a custom end bar turn lamp from a friend. it made of acrylic and aluminium for the frame.. can't wait to see the final result of this product :wink2:

IMG_2351.jpg

- One of my favourite part from the bike, the exhaust.. gonna make a dual megaphone exhaust inspired by the classic flat tracker bike.. :rolleyes:

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

hope u enjoy guys.. :thumbsup:

Back