72 XS2 carb rebuild help

Can you give me a source for the fuel resistant neoprene? Is it the same as Nitrile NBR?
And, also, you say that it has to be near flush. But not completely flush, either? Say, like 1/64 or 1/32 from flush?

Matt

So, I know the needle is not the jet. Is the jet the same as the tube with the little orings on it?

Matt

Yes AKA the emulsion tube. The needle rising out of the seat determines your fuel mixture about 90% of your riding time. Yes it's crude, carbs, :shrug:

I replaced the orings a couple of months ago. I put Sil-Glide on them first. If I pull the tubes to check the number, do I need new orings? Do I even have to pull the tubes out to check the number?

Matt

You may not need to pull them. The number is usually on the side of that shoulder between the part that sticks up into the carb and the part that hangs out into the float bowl. If you can see it then the jet needn't be pulled, or maybe only pulled part way out .....

Can you give me a source for the fuel resistant neoprene? Is it the same as Nitrile NBR?
And, also, you say that it has to be near flush. But not completely flush, either? Say, like 1/64 or 1/32 from flush?

Matt

If you're asking about the choke plunger, I just used an old/spare ranch-supply thick rubber-type washer that's used on fuel caps. Whatever it is, it's fuel resistant.

When I trimmed its length, I just made the cut a few thou away from the brass crimp. Completely flush probably would've been better, since the piston does need to seat down far enough so that its body closes off the periphery passages...

Edit: MikesXS carries that plunger. 72-75 carbs. A bit of a different animal, so my rebuild of my 71 carb plungers isn't exactly the same as yours, but was supposed to give you an idea of what to look for.

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/choke-plunger-xs2-xs650b-1972-75-oem-306-14171-01-00

Last edited:
Back