73 650 to 81 changeout will it fit

Frankenbob

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi i just got my first bike it's a 73 xs650 the motor was seized and had to be cut away from pistons can i put the motor out of an 81 xs650 on this frame? already hard tailed the frame with a weld on from TC BROS. just dont know if the swap will work it's only $100 for the rebuilt 81 thanks.

yes it will work only problem is the 73 eng used a difrent charging and ignition system
than the 81 I put a 81 eng in my 72 hardtiled frame I just used the charging system
and the ignition system from the 81 bike I got the eng from. I have changed 2 older engines over to 81 tci ignition and charging system. it's no big deal.

Kool i was wanting to put a PMAcharging kit with A power cap instead of battery kickstart only i'm building my first Bobber.well first street bike period there is more to it than i thought i have built several cars but bikes are alot harder than i thought they would be but i'll get r done i bought the the bike in pieces all in a box even the spokes and hubs everything was broke down and in a box lol for 500, i bought a hard tail from TCBros and got that much done and powdercoated the wheels while they where aprt but thats about it so far.:thumbsup:

Not as easy as the Tuttles on American Chopper make it look, is it, lol. Takes longer than a half hour too.

No where near as easy as they make it look I thought that they have so much less than a car it would be simple but I realized quick it is not a bmx lol

trying to up load photos

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 65
  • wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 68
  • xsframe.jpg
    xsframe.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 50
wife thinks i'm crazy for putting money in this bike i'm only 1000 into it right now and it is worth every bit of it i think they r kool little bikes and can't wait to get it on the road you don't see any around my neck of the woods so it will be one of a kind

Don't know what order to start putting back together gonna prep n paint and then try to figure out what step should come first when putting it together. lol i'm lost on procedure here no one i know has the faintest clue on what goes into a bike so i'm glad i found this site hope to get the advice i need on this project if not it will be trial and error lol i just hate to have to start over once a step is complete. so don't want to get ahead of myself.

Those Hubs and Rims are gonna look sweet once you lace them up and I like the look of the Apehangers but I know my hands would be asleep all the time if i ran a bike with them LOL
you have a great start there.

Hey thanks don't get the time to work on my bike realy putting in 80 hour weeks right now plus got my kids football n cheer leading who knew being a dad was so much work lol realy appreciate the info on laws concerning the apes that's the last thing I need already have the ghost of an ill spent youth on my back.

Hey Frankenbob, looks like a good start man!:thumbsup:
If you have any questions just ask, plenty of great guys here.
If you follow along on some the builds you'll get the idea of what gets done and when in the build process. I know I had plenty of time to read and plan what was next on mine.:D

Well thanks for all of yall's help but tragically my wife sold my bike while i was at work yesterday and i barely got started on it, so easy enough said we are on the outs i'm temped to sell her truck today.In a way she is right i don't have the money and it would have taken me a year to afford the build but she should have talked to me first.Guess i need to sell some of my art to find another bike:banghead:

If my wife sold my bike I would be pissed. You could always sell/rent your wife. Just make sure to do it without talking to her.

Back