'73 Clutch - Extra Washer?

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score

Attachments

• ExtraWasher.jpg
    ExtraWasher.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 110
That fiche does not show all the washers. Have a look at the 2 drawings that I'm posting...................they are correct,and that 's how my clutch is assembled.

Attachments

• Clutch Assembly.jpg
    Clutch Assembly.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Revised clutch.jpg
    Revised clutch.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 99
Its good that you are checking for correct number of parts:thumbsup:

A few years back when I had my clutch opened up for inspection, I found that the PO had omitted 1 washer. That resulted in the clutch rubbing.

The PO had also left out a washer(damper) on the camchain tensioner.................Oh yeah, he also lost a washer under the tach/oil pump drive shaft.

Attachments

• Clutch Rubbing mod1.JPG
    Clutch Rubbing mod1.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 108
Its good that you are checking for correct number of parts:thumbsup:

A few years back when I had my clutch opened up for inspection, I found that the PO had omitted 1 washer. That resulted in the clutch rubbing.

The PO had also left out a washer(damper) on the camchain tensioner.................Oh yeah, he also lost a washer under the tach/oil pump drive shaft.

Funny how you never hear good stories about a previous owner. My top end didn't have as single valve stem seal on it...

OakBehringer;

Real nice..................leaving out the valve seals:yikes:

I think it would be appropriate if each month we arrange to tar and feather a PO, just to teach them a lesson:laugh:

I followed the diagram above and I came out with an extra washer. It's the exact same as the first washer that goes on in the stacking order. Was there an extra washer somewhere on a 1979? When I had it together before I ran and shifted fine which is kinda confusing me especially since it's apparently not supposed to be there.

I think your question has already been answered in this thread. My two diagrams in post #2 are correct. How does your engine compare with my two diagrams? Where exactly do you have the extra washer?
The parts list in post #1 is missing one washer.

I put my clutch back together according to your diagrams in post #2. I have all those washers. But I also have an extra washer which is labeled "a" in your diagram. So I have 2 "a" washers instead of just 1.

Yeah, POs sometimes throw in extra parts, just as a warped sense of humour. They're really sick people you know:laugh2:
Just hang on to the extra washer.......................you may find a need for it later.

That "a" washer is of the same dimensions as the shim washer for the kickstart shaft, an often missed item.

Edit: They're the same part number: 131-15653-00

Last edited:
Maybe that's where it came from? Grab your kick starter down at the shaft and see if it has excessive in/out play. Mine did and I had to add a washer. Mine had none, but maybe it did originally and was just lost.

Back