73 TX650 Pamco

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm calling out Pamco Pete. I have a 73 Tx650. Going one size over bore. Still have points. I want to upgrade to a pamco ignition. Just want to know what to keep and what to buy?Still have the old rotor/alt setup. May upgrade later on to a PMA.

hard y rd,

Well, CDNTX and hotdog are doing a pretty good job. The Part #14-0901 kit at $142 is a good buy. You get everything you need for less than the cost of the individual parts. The 17-6822 coil is a good everyday rider and won't let you down. The coil runs cool for long life.

The Part #14-0911 kit also includes everything you need for a bit more money. Like, $170. The main difference is a higher performance 17-6903 coil and separate plug wires. The coil will deliver better starts with a low battery or in the cold. The extra high voltage will idle smoother and give you better gas mileage and a slight increase in horse power. Here is a comparison done with a couple of runs on my stock '81/H:

iridium.jpg

You'll notice that even though I increased the main jet size, I still got better gas mileage with the 17-6903 coil, so more power and better gas mileage due to the higher voltage coil.

I have run both of these setups on my '81/H and I would be happy with either, but I am currently using the 17-6903 setup.

Note: Test results were obtained on a 60 mile round trip course at 72F and 30" of barometric pressure at an average speed of 55 MPH in very light traffic using the same gas pump at the end of each run. Last two runs done with a .035 spark plug gap. Your results may be different.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete and the two others. The part no. Was exactly what I was looking for.
I like getting the correct info right from the source.

This post is direct to PamcoPete:

I have a 1969 XS1 that I built in 1970 as a flattrack racer with a Trackmaster frame, Branch Flowametrics head, Tom Sifton Cam and the crank wheels have been balanced and the taper on the crank has been re-machined for to fit a crank fired magneto (Yamaha DT2MX). My goal in addition to freshening up the internals is to go to the full 750cc allowed by the class.

Further upgrades to the project will include a 277 rephase, with a Pamco Ignition. This brings to to a slightly off thread question, will the crank magneto cooperate with the Pamco Ignition (less the points and condenser)?

Others, please feel free to comment on your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,
Dave

This post is direct to PamcoPete:

I have a 1969 XS1 that I built in 1970 as a flattrack racer with a Trackmaster frame, Branch Flowametrics head, Tom Sifton Cam and the crank wheels have been balanced and the taper on the crank has been re-machined for to fit a crank fired magneto (Yamaha DT2MX). My goal in addition to freshening up the internals is to go to the full 750cc allowed by the class.

Further upgrades to the project will include a 277 rephase, with a Pamco Ignition. This brings to to a slightly off thread question, will the crank magneto cooperate with the Pamco Ignition (less the points and condenser)?

Others, please feel free to comment on your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,
Dave

Well, in general, the magneto will need a rectifier, regulator and some filtering, either a capacitor or a battery. I presume that you will not be running a headlight, so there should be enough output from the mag to run the PAMCO, but it would be helpful if you have some numbers for the mag, such as maximum output in watts, max voltage at a given RPM etc.

With the availability of modern small size batteries, you may want to look at a total loss system that just uses a battery to run the ignition. You can race all day long with an 8 AH battery and not have the complication of the magneto.

If i had the dough, I'd probably get the 14-0911. Here in Canada it's only $154.95. If xs650 direct were giving them away, I couldn't get one anyway because guess what? That's right OUT OF STOCK!

Back