1973 TX650 project

RPO 579C

XS650 Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is selling this '73 TX650 that's been sitting in his garage for a VERY long time. If I buy it I would just want to make it usable while changing very little. It has a little over 11,000 miles. Engine is free and there's some rust in the tank. Maybe it's just the time of year, but I can't find any other '73 TX650s for sale. What's something like this worth? I can do most of my own work.

Attachments

• IMG_5252.jpg
    IMG_5252.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5253.jpg
    IMG_5253.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5254.jpg
    IMG_5254.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 57
Since its a friend, does he state that it was running or not before he stored it?
Do you know what your getting into?
  • carb rebuild
  • Tank de rust
  • Valve adjustment
  • Timing
  • Replacing Tires
  • Likely Master cylinder and caliper rebuild
  • Inspecting/fixing charging system

Looks like it's in pretty good shape but will need some work to get it road worthy. what its worth depends on how much effort you out into it. Could be worth anywhere from 2,000-4,000 or more. As it sits now probably I would pay $1,000 or a bit more. Depends on how much rust is in that tank. You will definitely need new tires, brake lines and more. Does he have the title. If not the value drops anywhere from 0-500
Where are you in Minnesota.

Last edited:
Hi @RPO 579C, welcome aboard. Cannot answer your question - the value can only be measured in terms of what is it worth to you. You need to know that you will not make money on the project, unless you get the bike free or very cheap and it needs nuffin much done to get it running. But if you want an XS650 as a hobby and to ride then that bike looks like a good candidate for bringing back to life. Looks like it's all there,in good nick and probably looked after before it was stored.

It did run when it was put away, and it has a title.

It would be fair to say that I don't know what I'm getting myself into, since I've not brought an old motorcycle back to life. But I've owned more than 60 old Corvettes, and lots of other old cars that I have brought back. I rode Yamaha Enduros in the '70s, and that's what I'd like to trade this for after I get it going. They're not easy to find, either.

Glad I found this forum. I don't know much about old motorcycles, but I do know how to listen. I'm in northern Minnesota. No rush since I won't be riding for awhile. And I'm retired so I have some time.

Last edited:
They can be a challenge you won't know until you actually dig it out and really start to inspect it. I just completed a 68 DT250 for a friend and they are hard too find. If you dont think you want the challenge of restoring that 73 I might be interested. My brother lives in Milaca and i'm originally from Minneapolis.

The 73 650 had issues with the gas tank's lower seam (at the lower mount I believe) failing. Take a good look in that area

Could be a really nice bike, a little bit of thi$ and that and elbow grease.
Lots of good info in the Tech section on bringing them back around. Pay special attention to dos and don'ts.
especially the don'ts it'll save you a bunch of wasted time.
Best of luck. :)

Too get it roadworthy... wallet damages... $1-1200.oo .. as mentioned... tires, brake system.. carbs... oil filers, related gaskets, carb kits. .. air filters... battery...fuel system.... petcocks.... fork seals.... price jumps if the mufflers are rotted..... then there's the hours if you decide to clean the engine... buff..etc etc.... I'd toss in some Marvel in the cylinders... let it work its magic for a few days... leave plugs out... open carb slides.. hook up a good battery.... and do a compression test...leak down test is better.... a " top end " job on these is rather simple.... another hit on the wallet.... So... ? It'd be a project of adventure.... challenge .... accomplishment .... if it's a " keeper ".... and you decide full restoration.... strip frame to done... $6-8000oo It's a desirable model... handsome machine.... You'll need to buy a case of the attached photo ... 😎 PS: I'm currently do'n a 82' Special.... frame to done....I'd be lucky to get 35 cents back for every dollar I spend.... but it's a keeper....

Attachments

• Elbow.png
    Elbow.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 22
The ‘73 is one of the more sought after of the series. It’s also one of the more challenging. It has peculiarities that can make some parts a challenge to find. Perhaps a nose to tail service on it will mostly get you there. Good luck!

Yeah, one of those in between years, last of the 256 series motors, 34mm forks, dual cable carbs, gas tank different than 72 and 74 and other things make it a rare bird.

So if the tank is rusted out (which I doubt) a new one will be hard to find? Does anyone reproduce them?
Yes and no. There is experience on here with tank repair. Often it welded. I would probably opt for a Caswell epoxy liner as that’s the easiest route. OTOH, if you screw that up, there’s no removing it.

What he said,
View attachment 258857

It really is a fun hobby, but the costs can add up pretty quick. The ‘73 is one of the earlier models and can be very nice when finished. 🙂
The folks that seek "original" on their XS650s do have to jump through a few hoop to achieve "original". Getting an XS650 to be a reliable, nice handling and stopping not stock ride can be surprisingly affordable.

:twocents:
For a couple reasons I try HARD to avoid restoration/ get'r running projects on bikes I'm not interested in riding when they are done.
Not least; it's seldom more than $10 an hour work if you're lucky and there's no hidden gotcha's. Might as well be spending that labor on a bike you WANT.
If you done 60 vettes you are aren't rubbing pennies together to finish bike projects. Find the enduro(s) you want, work on them.
But if you take it on, we're here to help cuz that's what we do.

Lots of good advice from you guys. I would not even consider doing this if I didn't have:

1. Time
2. an interest in cars, boats and motorcycles
3. a great deal on the TX650
4. this forum

No matter what, you'll never see a post from me that says "nobody warned me about...."

Last edited:
Welcome to the site! I'm one of the newer addicts here and I can tell you with confidence that the help you'll get on this site is 2nd to none. It's a great group of folks who are polite, patient, and above all, willing to share their knowledge with any of us who need guidance. That bike looks like it has good bones and I suspect it would be a good Survivor candidate. I struggled in the beginning with my bike trying to decide if I wanted to do a nut and bolt restoration or keep it as a survivor. In the end I went with survivor and I'm glad I did. The further I get into it the happier I am with my choice. Good Luck and I hope to see a new build thread for you and your bike soon!

Welcome to the site! I'm one of the newer addicts here and I can tell you with confidence that the help you'll get on this site is 2nd to none. It's a great group of folks who are polite, patient, and above all, willing to share their knowledge with any of us who need guidance. That bike looks like it has good bones and I suspect it would be a good Survivor candidate. I struggled in the beginning with my bike trying to decide if I wanted to do a nut and bolt restoration or keep it as a survivor. In the end I went with survivor and I'm glad I did. The further I get into it the happier I am with my choice. Good Luck and I hope to see a new build thread for you and your bike soon!
That's good advice. A bike is only original once. There's so many XSs been lost to the angle grinder enthusiasts. They're still pretty findable at the moment but every one that's cut up is one less survivor. I have recently acquired a 1977 XS650D most of which is original. I am not obsessive about it but I want to retain as much of the 47 year patina as possible. Whilst at the same time getting as close as I can to feeling like riding a new bike.

Back