73' TX650 "The Cooler King"

owned_and_operated

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Picked this 1973 TX650 up on Sunday. Very excited.

Project name "The Cooler King" after Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape.

The initial plan is to build a Tracker/Brat/Scrambler hybrid with a mono-shock rear.

Going to sell a majority of the original stock parts from the bike, they are mostly in decent condition.

Stay tuned...

Here is the before shot against a brick wall in my loft.
10977144126_7f9807d98b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to be in fairly good condition. Have you had it running yet? I would suggest you do before taking it apart. Best to know what kind of shape the motor is in before. Gives you a better idea what all needs to be done to it. Looks like the front forks have been extended.

Looks to be in fairly good condition. Have you had it running yet? I would suggest you do before taking it apart. Best to know what kind of shape the motor is in before. Gives you a better idea what all needs to be done to it. Looks like the front forks have been extended.

Have not had it running, although the engine has good compression. I would agree to get it running first, however I'm in a bit of a predicament in that I am doing to build in my 3rd floor loft living room, so the plan is to do most structural and cosmetic work over the winter and engine stuff in the spring. If it turns out that the engine needs to be replaced (which my assumption is that it does not) then I'll worry about it then.

What would be your plan of attack if you were me? I'm interested in your guru opinion.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good thread or information around swapping out the original TX650 front end with that of a modern inverted R6 front end?

It seems like a lot of people have done it with later XS frames, but are there any differences with an earlier TX frame (Neck issues, bearing issues, etc?)

A good thread for reading about going the mono shock route would be osteoderms "good heart, bad intentions" thread. He started with the same model as you and documented it extremely well. There have been at least a few threads about front end swaps on here, airwolfe did a front end swap so maybe you could PM him on just what he used and what he had to do to make it work.

Cool.. Glad to see you on the forum, cant wait to see my old bike back in action. :bike:

Picked this 1973 TX650 up on Sunday. Very excited.

Project name "The Cooler King" after Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape.

The initial plan is to build a Tracker/Brat/Scrambler hybrid with a mono-shock rear.

Going to sell a majority of the original stock parts from the bike, they are mostly in decent condition.

Stay tuned...

Here is the before shot against a brick wall in my loft.
10977144126_7f9807d98b_b.jpg

Back