75 engine with early 78 carb compatability

Shovel Jockey

Piano Tuna
Reaction score
Upstate South Carolina mountains, (Moonshiner 28)
I had to pull the engine from my stock early 78E for extensive repairs. I had a spare engine from a stock 75B and installed it. I am still using the 78 carbs and exhaust on the 75 engine. It seems to be running fine but I realize these are two different engines,(valve settings; compression ratios, plugs). Is there a possible problem running the 78 carbs on the 75 engine?

Last edited:
Short answer no, except the 78 carbs are better in several areas and the motor may just take a serious liking to breathing through those 78 carbs. IMHO there is VERY little difference in the 75-78 447 motors.

I think you may be right! The 75 engine is running stronger and smoother especially in the bottom and mid range than the 78 engine ever did. I guess I was just concerned about it running too lean. Checking out the carb specs I realized the motors were similar but the carbs were noticeably different on jetting and adjustment.

PS Some 75 dip sticks came with wrong markings, compare to your 78 dipstick use it's markings if different.

The only problem I could foresee is a clearance issue between that front lower angle bracket linking the '78 carbs and the cam chain tensioner cap nut on the '75 motor. If this is a problem, you can swap the entire tensioner assembly from the '78 motor on to the '75 motor.

Back