77 All Balls Wheel Bearings in a 76?

ryamatt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am not having much luck finding a Canadian online supplier that lists an All Balls wheel bearing kit for my 76.

One dealer has their model year options starting at 1977 to 81. Will a 77 kit work on my 76?

Another site starts their XS parts numbers at 1977 and calls everything from 73 to 76 a TX650. Although I'm pretty sure the TX identifier is wrong, would these be the bearings I could use?

Thanks.

The bearings will fit, the grease seals may differ. Usually, grease seals can be re-used if you're careful removing them and don't damage them.

All Balls are made in China. I haven't heard any complaints, but why seek them out? Koyo are OEM and made in the USA.

Largely I can't find a source for Koyo other than Mikes/XSDirect.

XSDirect - Mikes XS Canadian counterpart - generally sucks for having stock on anything important that you need, and Mikes doesn't ship to Canada. XSDirect is currently out of stock, as per usual. I can order from Mikes and drive to the US to pick it up, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. Shipping into Canada from the US is a pain due to UPS brokerage fees (I don't know why Americans hate USPS so much...).

All Balls is slightly more common and readily available up here in the beautiful, but under-supplied, North.

The bearings are nothing special and just a common metric size. You may be able to get them locally from a bearing supply place.

So, the Mikes part number, or numbers stamped on the old/current bearings, are not really Yamaha/motorcycle specific, just typical metric bearing sizes? This would be easier to find.

Yes, they're just normal metric bearings, not some special Yamaha invention. You need a couple plain old 6303-2RS metric bearings. The "2RS" means they have a rubber seal on each side, which is what you want. You may find your originals have steel seals or may even be open on one side. The fully sealed 2RS is what is commonly used today and is the replacement of choice.

Although these new bearings are supposed to be "lubed for life" when you get them and never need greasing, sometimes they don't put very much grease in them. Before installing, pop the rubber seals out and check them. If low on grease, add some, but don't fill the bearing more than half way. Any more than that just oozes out in use and makes a mess. I add grease to one side only, that keeps my filling down to about half.

I routinely do this to old good bearings in wheels I'm using. Many times, a bearing that feels a little "stiff" when you turn it with your finger can be fixed like this. It just needs new grease.

If you go "ALL Balls" you want part #22-1015.

You're welcome. :D

72YamahaXS2650Restoration068_zps9e07983c.jpg

Back