77 custom harness help...

Chadske

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked through 36 pages trying to find a setup, little blurry eyed I didn't find anything... I'm looking for a lead/picture on how to redo my harness. I'm running headlight taillight blinkers speedo electric start horn and pamco ignition. I appreciate any help.

In the some wiring diagrams thread I like #4. It shows a basic points ignition with the separate reg and rec.
It shows the later combo reg/rec and TCI in boxes.
The starter upper right side.
To change this to fit the Pamco just wire it in after the engine stop switch(kill switch).
Another option is a 72 or 73 diagram. The first couple years of e-start. About as simple as they get.
On any diagram get the charging system wired up first. Your bike won't run well or long without one.
Once you get that add a fuse after the switch and add the ignition. The same with the lights. add a fuse, wire in the head and tail light. Add a fuse and wire in the brake light, turns and horn.
Follow #4 for the starter.
Leo

Thanks for the reply Leo, I have the radio shack mod right now for my rec. should I also do the Napa reg mod before I keep going? Thanks

I should also mention Im using a battery to. If that changes the wire diagrams you pointed out. Thanks

All diagrams using stock alternator parts need a battery. The battery supplies the current to the rotor to get the alternator to create electricity. So any diagram that has the stock parts needs a battery.
A smaller battery is ok if you run kick start only. If you want to run the e-start you will need a battery at least as big as the stock battery, electrically speaking. That's 12 to 14 amp hours and around 200 cca's. In a lead acid wet or AGM type battery this means one as physically large and heavy as a stock battery. These can be gotten for $40 to $50. They sell Lithium Iron batteries that have the same electrical power but are much smaller and weigh practically nothing. Shoria or Ballistic are good examples. The start around $150.
I have an AGM style battery in the 81 XS650 as well as the Harley and Honda. I'm very pleased with them. Being AGM batteries they don't require much care, they don't lose water.
I have a Ballistic battery in my 75. I had a 8 cell till I killed it, I left the key on and completely drained it. I left it in the bike and the 20 below was a bit more than it could handle. I just replaced it with one of Ballistic's EVX14L-12 batteries. This has a case size that is the same length and width as the stock battery and about 1/2 shorter. It is a 12 cell instead of the old ones 8 cell. It cost more, $229. but it has more cca's 360 VS 240. It cranks the 750 kitted engine very well.
I'll take better care of this one.
Leo

Back