77 xs won't shift

pdaly28

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone.I just finished building this bike.Did the top end,inspected the clutch and never got into the lower end except to replace the cam chain.Now the bike will shift thru 3 gears and hit a false neutral,shifting up or down.I have drained the oil,pulled the clutch cover and drive chain,removed the clutch.By turning the trans shaft and shifting the shift lever(a long reach around)I can get it to shift up and down thru 3 gears and hit a false neautral either way.I also have the kick starter shaft out of it.Any ideas?Bike only had 8k on it,but had sat for years.Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone.I just finished building this bike.Did the top end,inspected the clutch and never got into the lower end except to replace the cam chain.Now the bike will shift thru 3 gears and hit a false neutral,shifting up or down.I have drained the oil,pulled the clutch cover and drive chain,removed the clutch.By turning the trans shaft and shifting the shift lever(a long reach around)I can get it to shift up and down thru 3 gears and hit a false neautral either way.I also have the kick starter shaft out of it.Any ideas?Bike only had 8k on it,but had sat for years.Thanks in advance.

I should also let you know it's a 1977!:banghead:

I should also note,I don't think they are neutrals.I just went out and got int to shift down to what might be 2nd gear.Not 1st because I couldn't locat neutral.So I shifted up maybe 3 gears.(the last gear the trans shaft had a lot of drag to it)and then when I went to shift down,it wouldn't go down with out rocking the shift lever up and down until it would finally shift.(I have not even fired this thing off yet!)

Generally you shouldn't be able to shift through all the gears without the engine running.

with out the clutch in it and turning the trans shaft I believe you should be able to get it thru each gear,including being able to get it in neutral....which I have not been able to do.

if you turn the output shaft, you can get it to shift also. no more reach around.
got a manual? check the star wheel above the shift shaft.
sounds like what you think is first gear is really second,

Only 8,000 miles and probably no one has been in the transmission it sounds like shift shaft adjustment. Should be equal distant on each side of the star.

if you turn the output shaft, you can get it to shift also. no more reach around.
got a manual? check the star wheel above the shift shaft.
sounds like what you think is first gear is really second,

I agree,it feels like second gear,I ordered a manuel.My fear is that the problem lies in the shift forks or shift tube.Either case,pull the motor(fresh paint on frame!)and split the cases.I have not pulled the rt cover,so I could spin the output,i can reach the shifter ok though!

Borrowed pic from Brian 903 post. Shift shaft should like like this, evenly spaced to shift up or down.

Last edited:
The output shaft (drive sprocket) is on the left on most of these engines. :wink2:

Nice to have a chain and wheel on it, as others have said it takes some rocking back and forth to shift a tranny through all the gears with the motor not running. Are you missing any bolts or wrenches?:yikes:

The output shaft (drive sprocket) is on the left on most of these engines. :wink2:

Nice to have a chain and wheel on it, as others have said it takes some rocking back and forth to shaft a tranny through all the gears with the motor not running. Are you missing any bolts or wrenches?:yikes:

all accounted for!:D

Borrowed pic from Brian 903 post. Shift shaft should like like this, evenly spaced to shift up or down.

I have had it in this position,shifted up a couple gears and down a couple gears only to have the star in the cen ter and not shifting.as said this sat for a long time,when I drained the oil not much came out,mostly sluge.I filled the cases up with diesel fuel and let it set for 2 weeks.also did the same with the cylinders.after 2 weeks things freed up.drained the cases,with the cylinder off and both drain plugs removes I flushed it out with water.Blew it out with air and filled the cases with kerosene.left it for 2 weeks and it cranked over fine,shifted:banghead:

thanks everyone.I think I am going to wait on the manuel I orderd.but in the meantime,I'll block up the back of the bike,put the chain on and try it a gggGary said.I suspect if all doesn't go well there,I'll pull the motor and strip it down and split the cases.

Nice to have a chain and wheel on it, as others have said it takes some rocking back and forth to shift a tranny through all the gears with the motor not running. Are you missing any bolts or wrenches?

And right you were Gary!Thanks:thumbsup:

Now I just need to find out how to correctly install the kick starter shaft and do I have to preload the return spring.

Thanks to everyone for the help I receive here!

Back