78 bobber. Just bought, need some help/ ideas

Karnette

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i just picked up this 78 650 bobber. the motor apparently has 7000 original miles. Hard to say. Runs and sounds good. Im new to these bikes so any kind of help is appreciated. I bought it as seen in the photos. There is a lot i want to change. Rear fender, "oil tank", paint, redo the wiring. tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 251
Ah, somebody finally picked up that bike off kijiji. I bought a load of spare parts off that guy in the summer time when he finished that build. I was surprised he listed it so quickly after he finished it, did he say why he was selling? Im not a huge fan of the rear fender or oil tank so its nice to hear you plan to change it. Whats wrong with the wiring? I swore that he told me he completely rewired it. Anyway, good luck with it.

ya im not a fan of the plunger frame. Im tempted to change it.. it was just a project he said. He was happy with it, sense of accomplishment. Moved onto something new. Super nice guy. Just excited to change things and make it my own. Will be a totally different bike come spring!

Looked wicked Kyle ! Super clean looking.

I see what you mean on plunger frame...

I have always liked the firestone deluxe champion for a rear tire....have that speedway jawa look with a minimalist rear fender on there

ya im not a fan of the plunger frame. Im tempted to change it.. it was just a project he said. He was happy with it, sense of accomplishment. Moved onto something new. Super nice guy. Just excited to change things and make it my own. Will be a totally different bike come spring!

Hi Karnette and welcome,
You don't like the way the plunger frame looks or the way it handles?
I'd be interested to hear a report on what a modern rider thinks about how a plunger frame handles.
My long-ago memory on swapping from a rigid frame BSA to a similar plunger frame BSA was that I'd gotten a bike that had more comfort and less handling.
Thing is, those aftermarket plunger frames are rare and have great value to the right buyer so whatever way you go on changing the frame, don't change that one!
Keep it as a sellable asset and replace it with a different frame that you DO like.

Thanks Fred. The previous owner said he could ride it all day long.
I've never riden a hardtail so I wouldn't know how this handles. I've been told once I ride a hardtail I would probably appreciate this plunger. Maybe I should have bought a hardtail then. I'm pretty set on the true hardtail look.. Not sure what to
Do.

Hi Karnette,
what you could do is find a nearby hardtail XS650 rider and do a ride together on each other's bikes?
That'd give you a feel for where you want to go with your ride.
Or, buggrit! One is never enough! Buy yourself a true hardtail as well.

I would cut the back of the bike off and hardtail it no strech. I personally don't like stretched framed plungers or stretched bikes in general. The welds are ground down for a reason and prone to crack another reason to cut off. The rear fender belongs on a trailer not a chopper. The rest of the bike looks nicely done.

I would cut the back of the bike off and hardtail it no strech. I personally don't like stretched framed plungers or stretched bikes in general. The welds are ground down for a reason and prone to crack another reason to cut off. The rear fender belongs on a trailer not a chopper. The rest of the bike looks nicely done.

Hi scabber,
just because you don't like it's looks don't mean that the OP should take a sawzall to that frame, eh?
That plunger frame is (dare I say this, ippy?) not to my taste either but it's worth a fair chunk of change to the right buyer.
I'll repeat my advice to the OP:- If you don't like that frame, sell it to someone who does like it and buy yourself a hardtail frame to build up the rest of the bike on.

Frames are so hard to come by. Locally I haven't found any. would be nice to find one already done for sure. The search is on. If i posted the plunger you think there may be people interested?

frames aren't that hard to come by in our area, its finding one that doesn't need an OOP inspection that's hard. like fred, i would try to find a replacement frame before cutting that one up again, unless the current frame has some connections or welds that are causing you to doubt its safety.

The rear section was welded on a stock frame so cutting it off is no big deal. The guy that built the bike probably built the plunger. Karnette is not overly fond of the plunger look. I looked at the frame and its construction. Where the rear frame rail sections are welded to the backbone the stress plates have been removed and the welds ground for appearance reasons. From an engineering standpoint not a good idea and can lead cracks and failure. The bike doesn't flow the back doesn't match the front. The hardtail make it your own. Just my opinion. Welcome by the way. :thumbsup:

Hi scabber,
I dunno whether that frame is structurally sound or not; HTF can you tell without you check it out up close and personal?
if you have actually seen the thing in person, or have at least seen better photos than those on this list, I will accept your opinion of it's construction, otherwise, not so much.

Is there classified section on here? I stumbled across a project better suited for what I want to do.. Trying to sell this now may be tough.

What Fred said on the structural integrity. Since I didn't it welded or the process hard to tell if it is strong enough. I prefer the plates lots of frames don't use plates. No cracks showing in the pictures good so far. Sell it ride it or chop it is your call. I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Obviously there isn't any cracks.. Or I
Wouldn't have bought it! And if there was you wouldn't be able to see them in the pictures if there was.

Back