78 E Cafe Project

cooltouch

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've had a soft spot for cafe bikes ever since I saw my first one in a bike mag more years ago than I care to say. Never owned one, though, but since the XS650 is a machine with almost chameleon-like flexibility, it just seemed to me to be a natural bike for this project, especially since I have been on a tight budget and couldn't afford the outlay for a Brit bike in halfway decent condition.

I have rather specific requirements, though. I want it to have that cafe look, but not necesssarily the cafe feel. I don't really care for the position one has to put oneself in when a bike has clip-ons and rearsets, for example, so I will be using neither with this build. I prefer a slightly forward leaning position with my feet beneath me. Thus I'll use the stock pegs and most likely a set of Euro-style bars.

This cool Norton cafe comes close to the "look" I'm after -- the project bike needs to have a largish classic roadracer style tank, a bumstop seat and NO rear fender.
Knutstorp5.JPG

I bought the subject '78 E model a couple years ago because I wanted a Standard for my cafe build. Why a Standard? Mostly because of its rear shock geometry. The Standard's rear shocks are located in a more upright position, whereas Special shocks are slanted more. Not only do the upright rear shocks go more to the traditional cafe "look" they usually allow for more nimble handling. Also, I didn't really want to deal with the 16" rear, preferring an 18". True, I could have converted a Special to an 18" rear, but why not just start out with one that has it in the first place?

When I came across the 78, I ended up getting a trashed XS1 along with the deal, most of which I parted out and sold off, which helped defer almost all the original purchase costs. So even though I didn't want the XS1, in retrospect, I'm glad the guy included it because it ended up saving me bucks.

Got started on the project rather slowly -- I was having rather severe health problems at the time -- but I made some progress. My health has gotten better, but now I'm having to deal with a severely tight budget. Fortunately, I've already acquired most of the parts I need for the project. It's just a matter of finding the time now. So, I've decided to start this thread, hoping that it will provide me with a bit more motivation to get out there in the oppressive Houston Heat and get busy. :)

Some pics of the bike. This is what it looked like when I got it home:
78eside1.jpg

You can see remnants of the XS1 in the background. The bikes had been stored in a carpentry shop for who knows how long and were covered in sawdust. Here's the 78 after I hosed it down really well:
78eside3.jpg

I snagged a no-dents XS750 tank (standard, not Special) off eBay and also bought a cafe-style bumstop seat. Here's the bike with the tank sitting on it, right after I bought the tank. The paint job was lousy, and wasn't long for this world.
78e750tank1.jpg

I stripped the tank and the side covers with brush-on stripper, and a whole big mess later had managed to remove the lousy rattle-can paint job. But the enamel underneath didn't want to come off. Took quite a bit more work to get it off finally. I set the tank with its residual original paint and bumstop seat on the rolling chassis just for a visual take on things. Yep, starting to have that cafe look.
78e750tank2.jpg

I used rattlecan Rustoleum primer and a charcoal grey metallic enamel for the tank, then shot it with several more coats of clear enamel. It looks pretty good now, but the clear I used will not resist gasoline spills (need a two-part automotive product for that), so I'll have to be careful.
750tank1.jpg

750tank6.jpg

I've decided on a tank logo -- Yamaha's triple tuning forks. Only. I'm hoping I can find, or have made, the logo in a gold-leaf look. I haven't decided yet what, if anything I'll put on the side covers.

Stripped the bike down to the bare frame, then blasted it with my sandblaster to get rid of all the rust and loose paint. I also decided that this would be a solo bike only, so I removed the passenger peg loops. More I thought about it, I also decided I didn't want a center stand either, so off came the center stand mounts. Here the frame is after surgery but before blasting.
78eframe1.jpg

As you can see, it's missing the rear frame loop. The PO had plans to build a tracker and cut off the rear loop as well as the stock seat mounts. Nothing much I could do about the mounts, but I did get the loop, at least. I wanted to keep it, so I welded it back on.
The frame after blasting and welding the loop back on.
78eframe2.jpg

I blasted as much of the original paint off as was going to come off easily. I figured the paint that was left was on there to stay, so I etched it as best I could with the blaster so the new paint would have something to stick to. I repainted it with rattlecan black Rustoleum enamel. I've had good luck with the stuff. When applied properly, it holds up really well in outdoor applications. I still don't understand why some folks want to powdercoat their frames. I mean, sooner or later, a frame will get nicked up, and then what do you do? If it's painted with enamel it takes maybe a couple minutes to cover the nick. Besides, PC just wasn't in my increasingly slim budget, so that made the final decision for me. I don't have any pics of the frame after painting -- yet. But I'll take some and post one later.

When I first started this project, I decided I couldn't just leave the motor stock. So I bought a Wiseco 763cc big bore kit with 10.25:1 pistons. Also bought a set of Mikuni 36mm roundslides. Problem with the roundslides is they don't make right and left carbs -- or at least they didn't when I bought mine -- and both have the choke on the same side. I'm thinking I might fabricate a bracket or some such that will allow me to operate the carb with the inside choke lever a bit easier.

Wiseco 81mm 10.25:1 pistons. The sleeves that came with the kit have already been pressed into the cylinder block.
750cc_piston.jpg

The Mikuni VM36es:
78emikunis.jpg

I also spent quite a bit of time on the head. I had a local performane machine shop do a 3-angle grind on the head. Then I worked on basically smoothing the intake and exhaust runners and ports as much as possible. Not having a flow bench or being able to afford one, I didn't want to get too fancy with a port-and-polish job, cuz I know it's real easy to make things worse if you don't know what you're doing or if you don't have access to a flow bench. So I stuck to removing the machining and casting marks and especially the ridges on the inside radiuses of the runners as they turn into the valve pockets.

Here's a shot of the head before I started working on it. The machining and casting marks in the valve pockets are pretty obvious.
Image6.jpg

And here's a shot showing one cylinder's valve pockets after I spent some time on them.
Image8.jpg

The finished head, or so I thought:
Image7.jpg

Then I read up a lot more on PnP procedures and found out that my intake runners are entirely too smooth. Come to find that the walls of the intake runners and pockets should be fairly rough. This maintains turbulence of the intake fuel/air mixture and prevents the fuel droplets from condensing out on the walls. So before I put the head on the motor, I'm gonna have to go back and rough them up some with some fairly course sandpaper and/or sanding bits.

About this time, I discovered rephased XS650s, and was captivated by the idea. So I decided to go for it. Had the crank rephased to 277 degrees and sent the cam to Webcam, and had them regrind it to their 59a spec for a 277 rephased motor. No pics of this stuff yet, but I can get some if you're interested. I plan to run Pamco Pete's ignition setup for 277 motors.

Stay tuned . . .

Very nice project. I'll follow along to learn some tricks for myself. Good thing you are on a tight budget. With all those mods to the engine I recall rephasing to be quite expensive.

The "right" and "left" on VMs has nothing to do with the chokes, it's about which side the idle speed adjuster screw is on. The chokes on all the VMs are like the ones on yours. 3M at 650Central has a pull knob kit for the choke. You install it on one carb only, the right one. That gives you access to it's choke using a vertical pull knob instead of the wrongly facing flip lever. I think it's a snowmobile part but does just what needs doing in the 650's case.

It's looking good so far. Can't wait to see the painted frame and body parts together. If you want lower than regular bars but not as low as clip-ons, you might consider clubmans.

I have the pull style choke on my right 34mm vm and I don't really like it. It's too hard to keep it at anything other than full choke or completely shut. With the lever, it's not that hard to do 1/2 choke. I might switch it out for a lever that I could extend out the right side. The only problem I see with that is you'd have to pull the right choke lever up and the push the left one down to use them, but I could probably deal with that.

Very nice project. I'll follow along to learn some tricks for myself. Good thing you are on a tight budget. With all those mods to the engine I recall rephasing to be quite expensive.

If you do a 270 rephase, yeah, it can be. You need to order a special crank pin and then you need a donor crank assembly so you can use one of the flywheel "cheeks" from it. With a 277, you only have to have a small notch machined at one spot, and then just have the right side moved forward three splines. When I had a machinist rephase the crank, I also had him press the big bore sleeves into the cylinder block, then hone them to fit the pistons. As I recall, he charged me $400 for everything, which wasn't cheap, but I didn't figure I'd get it done cheaper anywhere else. Besides, this guy is a machinist who specializes in motorcycles, and is familiar with Yamahas, so I think he was a good choice -- Rhea Machining, So. Houston, TX.

Seems like the most expensive component for a rephase nowadays is the cam. Either Webcam or Megacycle's gonna charge about $400 to do it. Glad I got it done when I still had some room in my budget. Although if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with Megacycle's -30 grind. Better specs, and from what I've been told by Bob Bertaut, who's used both, a better performer as well. None the less, I would have been going with some sort of performance camshaft anyway, whether stock or rephased crank, so much of the expense would still have been there.

The "right" and "left" on VMs has nothing to do with the chokes, it's about which side the idle speed adjuster screw is on. The chokes on all the VMs are like the ones on yours. 3M at 650Central has a pull knob kit for the choke. You install it on one carb only, the right one. That gives you access to it's choke using a vertical pull knob instead of the wrongly facing flip lever. I think it's a snowmobile part but does just what needs doing in the 650's case.

It's looking good so far. Can't wait to see the painted frame and body parts together. If you want lower than regular bars but not as low as clip-ons, you might consider clubmans.

Thanks for the tip on the choke knob. Despite Travis's experiences, it might be worth a try. So, any tricks to reaching the inside idle speed screw?

I don't want to go with clubmans. They're too low. I have a set of Euro bars on my BMW R90 that I bought from MikesXS, and I find them to be just about right, so I'll give them a try first.

Maybe later today I'll drag out the frame and take a shot of it. Not ready yet to put the chassis together, so I can't really provide a shot of the frame plus body parts until I do.

Even though they don't particularly look it in the photos in my first post, the aluminum wheels were heavily oxidized and the spokes were rusty beyond rescue, so I stripped the wheels down and spent a LOT of time removing the corrosion. Come to find out, as I was working on the rear wheel, I found it had probably a dozen or more cracks where the spoke nipples pass through the wheel. It's junk -- heading to the metal recycler @ $0.50/lb.

Most recently, I went ahead and laced up the front wheel with new spokes. These are the zinc plated ones from Mikes. They look pretty nice. I hope the plating lasts a while. It was nice to discover that he gives you two extra inside and two extra outside spokes, along with four extra nipples. Dunno why exactly -- what, do people break these things when installing them?
78efrontwheel.jpg

First time I've ever laced and trued a wheel. It was easier than I thought it would be. Before I removed the old spokes, I made a drawing of their positions, and whether they were inside or outside, for one side only, but showing all the nipple holes. At first I tried lacing up one side before the other, but quickly realized that wouldn't work, so I went back and laced both sides up together, alternating back and forth. When I threaded on the spoke nipples, I threaded all to the same depth, and then worked around the wheel, gradually tightening them by the same amount, trusting on my built-in torque wrench.

To true it, I put the front axle through the hub and set it on jackstands, then kept tightening (and loosening when necessary) the nipples with a spoke wrench until there was essentially no visible wobble. I didn't use a dial indicator the way some folks do. Instead, I used a Sharpie pen as my indicator. I think this works better since it leaves trails exactly where wobble is. I tweaked the spoke nipples until I got a reasonably even Sharpie line all along the circumference of the wheel's shoulder. I plan to go back and check them all again periodically after I get the bike on the road, until I'm satisfied that none are too tight or too loose.

The wheel bearings are frozen up in both hubs, so they'll need replacing as well. I'll be ordering them when I order a new wheel from MikesXS. I've been keeping an eye on the rear wheel offerings on eBay, and at the price they're going for, it just isn't worth it to buy used. I don't need another hub anyway, and all the rear wheels I've seen there have the hub included. I'll most likely be ordering the wheel and bearings today. So I'll be able to start putting the chassis together either by this weekend or early next week.

Back when I first started accumulating parts for this project, I snagged an extra front brake rotor and caliper off ebay so I could go with a dual front disk setup. Since then, I've read discussions that have gone back and forth about how worthwhile it is going with dual front disks. Pros are somewhat better stopping power, cons are additional unsprung weight over the front wheel. Right now, I'm leaning more toward sticking with a single front rotor -- a stock one -- and a master cylinder with a smaller bore. I suspect that this combination will serve just as well as a dual rotor setup will, but without the additional weight. I also plan to drill the rotor. Haven't decided on the hole pattern yet. I'd be interested in reading any feedback you might want to provide regarding a single vs. dual setup.

Meanwhile, I need to dig through my boxes of XS parts and find where I stashed the Mikes OD 5th gear I bought. Once I have it in hand, I can get the engine back together and start on reassembly.

Dunno how quickly I'll be getting to this. I have the head off my Volvo right now (it blew a head gasket), and also need to do some work on the turbo before putting it back together. Sadly, the car takes priority over my motorcyclical projects. Hopefully, I'll have it finished up by this weekend. Why so long? Cuz I have a bad back and it is downright painful working on cars, so I have to take frequent breaks between rather short work sessions. Another thing I like about working on bikes -- I can sit beside them. I don't have to bend over their engines or crawl underneath them and have crap falling in my eyes.

Heh. Good luck, but you never can tell. Prolly be better off finding a whole bike that's been left out in the back forty for the past decade or so that you can have just for hauling it off. It happens -- every once in a while.

I've been using those spokes now for several years and they seem to be holding up OK. Extra spokes and nipples in the pack is a new one on me. I never got any in the sets I bought. We'll see though as I have a set of 18" rears coming this week.

Haven't opened up the bag of rear spokes I ordered yet. So, I can't say whether it was just a fluke or what. Ordered the rear wheel from Mikes a while ago. No more free shipping over $50 I see. It's coming UPS Ground, so I probably won't see it till Monday or Tuesday next week. Hopefully by then I'll have my Volvo back on the road and can spend some time on the project.

Well, according to the UPS email I received, I should have the wheel here Monday.

Earlier today, I decided to dig out the bike's crankshaft and give it a once-over. It's been in storage for a couple of years. I used some good spray lubricant, and liberally doused the whole assembly with it before putting it in a box and storing it in my garage. When I opened the box, I was -- well, dismayed would be putting it mildly. This is the crank I had rephased, mind you, so I had some significant coinage invested in it.

It's really a challenge keeping rust at bay here in Houston, Texas. Much of the year, humidity levels are very high, which is why I doused the crank so liberally with lubricant. But it obviously wasn't enough.

The crank has some rather large patches of rust on the crank cheeks and the outer surfaces of the two inner roller bearings. I breathed a giant sigh of relief as I manipulated all the bearings. They spin freely and show no signs of noise or roughness. So I guess the lube has worked where it matters the most. But now I'm faced with removing the corrosion from the crank cheeks and the bearing races.

I have a sandblaster, but no way will I try blasting in there to remove the rust. I've read about how great soda blasting works, but I've also read that it works best on non-ferrous metals, especially aluminum. I need to find something that works on ferrous metals but won't leave a residue. I'm wondering if, instead of soda, I might try salt? I realize salt is highly corrosive, but if rinsed off quickly after blasting, I should be okay.

Or, I could try using steel wool, I suppose. It'll be slow going, but the residue from it can be flushed out pretty easily and shouldn't damage the bearing surfaces if some tiny bits of it should remain behind.

I've given it a good soaking with PB Blaster, and I'm letting it sit for a while. Hopefully it will loosen up some of the scale, if not most of it.

Any ideas?

How about Naval Jelly? For corrosion protection, I would liberally coat with motor oil. I've never had much luck with those light weight spray lubes.

Could always try Molasses, I have used it on a badly rusted set of gears (and a bunch of tools), and it works so if your crank has slight surface rust it would work. I mixed the Molasses, 1 part molasses to 10 of hot water, and mixed well then submerged the parts completely. depends on how bad the rust is as to how long you leave the parts submerged.

Thanks for the ideas. I've used naval jelly in the past on other applications and have had mixed results. Worth a shot, though, I reckon.

Molasses sounds intriguing. Very intriguing. So I did a bit of googling. And found this:

http://www.syrupmakers.com/rust/

And this:

http://www.moreg.org.au/dissolving_rust.htm

And this:

http://virtualindian.org/projrust.htm#molasses

This sounds too interesting to pass up.

Doh! Just had a thought. I'm thinking I might could also use the electrolysis method that is used for eliminating rust from the inside of fuel tanks. I've done this before, and it works well. I can just dump the crank in a big plastic bucket for the elecrolysis.

My only concern though is the fact that the crank assembly has a variety of metal alloys. I wonder what the likelihood is that some of these may possibly lose mass to the cathode. Hmmm . . . I have a spare crank assembly sitting around that has also gotten rusty. Maybe I should use it as a guinea pig and see what happens . . .

I'll let y'all know how it works. If it isn't satisfactory, then I'll try the molasses.

Back