'78 SE project, diving in head first!

Kickflippin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So glad to find this forum! I scored a '78 SE from a local seller. I've wanted one for a while and am looking forward to learning the bike inside and out. Can anyone tell me anything specific to look out for in these SE models? I couldn't find much difference other than the stock bars and wheels.

I'm thinking a brat/tracker build will be a bit cheaper and quicker than a full chop for now, but had a couple observations/questions:

1. the stock triple tree clamp seems a little light/flimsy, should replacing it be a priority?

2. Alot of builders seem to go with a kick-only start. Opinions?

3. I'd like to lower the back end an inch or 2. You think shorter shocks are still the best way to go or can I change the shock angle without screwing the ride up too much?

Thanks everyone! Super stoked to own a XS!

RXnFYl4.png

Welcome to the forum, Kickflippin. A lot of folks would recommend riding it as-is for awhile, getting the feel for it, and learning the repair/maintenance side first. As you build time on it, and absorb the numerous threads in here, plans will formulate. The bike lends itself well to all the build styles, some easy to do and revert back, others a bit more permanent, and challenging. Have fun in here...

I say, put some side covers on, some nice clip ons, and you're done!! Looks sweet as is!

Go for a ride or 100, get the feel of the bike(wish I dd on mine, although I got it in a few boxes!), and enjoy her! If you up for it, start small, pull the carbs and give them a good clean, and check over. there is a carb guide in the tech section.

If you take anything apart, take loads of pictures for reference, less chance of screwing things up!!

Most of all, welcome and enjoy!!!!

Thanks for the advice in general, everyone. Unfortunately the bike doesn't currently run, I'm going through the ignition and fuel systems now to chase down the issues. The motor does turn over on a kick, but that's it.

I received the bike half torn apart, and am only at the point of reconnecting the basics. The ignition was torn off, carbs taken apart, no battery, no lights, controls, etc.

My build questions were more in the interest of where to go from that point more than getting ahead of myself. For example, without a battery and ignition am I better off buying some kind of pma system (I'd like to go kick-only at some point) instead of all the things I would need to return it to a stock starting system?

thanks again. I'm learning a lot on the forum.

Back