'78 Wiring Query

Paul75

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys, regarding Ignition Coil, Points, Condenser wiring, is there a photo of these wired together rather than a schematic? Struggling.... this is what I have......

Attachments

• IMG_20170404_1926523.jpg
    IMG_20170404_1926523.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 89
If you had a good helper, in person, and a diagram you would probably have it all connected in less than 20 minutes.

What year bike is it? Why is it disconnected? What changes have been made to the bike, other than stock, that you know of?

Scott

Brilliant thanks for this, I can work it out from here, I did actually do a little more digging on here last night and found some good info, it was the connectors I was struggling with and I'm now starting to fully understand the diagrams. The bike is a 78 Scott, 1 condenser and 1 set points. I've basically got a brand new loom as the old one was quite severely burnt out and I'm doing a complete nut and bolt restoration, turning it into a brat style tracker....I've absolutely no doubt I'll need more help from you guys as I work my way slowly through the rest of the bikes electricals.....all good fun and thank you!!!

Guys, sorry, I need more help with this! See image. Both my coils have an orange and a brown lead from them. Spare wires from the loom only have 1 x grey, 1 x brown, 1 x orange. Also, which leads go into the red/white kill?

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_1923509.jpg
    IMG_20170405_1923509.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 45
Think I have it figured, both browns from coils go to red/white kill. Orange from 1 coil goes to orange loom, orange from other coil goes to grey loom.....?

The double R/W is power for your coils. Connect the brown from each coil to it. The single orange and single gray you have left should be the other ends of the double orange and double gray in your first pic. You can test them to make sure but that's what they should be. They connect to the orange wires on the coils. If your points are wired correctly or "as stock", they should have the gray wire connected to the top (right cylinder) points set and the orange wire connected to the bottom (left cylinder) set .....

650Points3.jpg

So, that means you will want the gray wire at the coils run to the right cylinder coil. orange wire to the left cylinder coil.

The brown wire isn't for the coils, it's power for your horn. Your first pic also shows a pink wire. That's the other wire for the horn.

Back