78' Yamaha xs650hs Brat Style Virgin Build

HionHiFi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
78' Yamaha xs650e Brat Style Virgin Build

I like the look, history, and bulletproof engine of the Yamaha XS650e, so awhile back I decided to build a chop in the Japanese Brat Style. To that end I scoped out craigslist for a suitable bike. After a week of looking I ended up finding a 78' xs650sh in good condition, running w/25k on the odometer.

I decided on the brat style because I like the idea of retaining as much of the original bike as possible. Plus the lines of the bike are nice. Its a different look than the hardtail's that I also dig, but don't want to build. The Japanese Brat Style gets the nod.

This is my first build. A virgin build. I have some clear goals.
  1. It must be able to ride two-up w/my lady! Happy wife, happy life!:bike:
  2. It must have bent seat rails (to achieve desired look)
  3. Install 10.5" Rear Shocks
  4. Chop Front Forks 2"
  5. Sportster Type Gas Tank
  6. Remove all unnecessary tabs and mounts
  7. It must pass a California DMV Inspection (its an out of state bike-WA)
  8. Convert to solid state ignition/magneto/update electrical system
  9. Reuse as many original parts as possible
  10. Minimize bolt on's
  11. Do 90% of the work myself
  12. It must 100% mechanically sound and reliable
As clear as the goals are, they are malleable depending on how I feel.

I have many questions as this is my 1st build and hope you great folks can help with the build. I invite anyone and everyone with experience to join in and provide feedback and comments about my project.

I've had many bikes in the past (Sportsters, Victories, Dirt Bikes, Street Bike), but none have given me the emotional kick in the gut like the Yamaha XS650E does. It's an iconic bike and I think this is going to be a ki*k a*s build.

1978 Yamaha XS650E Pics

Yamaha_1.jpg

Yamaha_2.jpg

Yamaha_3.jpg

I will be updating this thread as much as possible. Asking questions, and posting what I find.

Here is my inspiration (to a large degree)
CIMG0477.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4304.jpg
    DSC_4304.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Anyone know where to get those bars and what size the headlight is on the "reference" bike?

awesome good luck with build, i am also building a bratstyle xs but mine is a 400, still love it ill post some pics up later on maybe we can bump ideas off each other. Good luck keep us posted

awesome good luck with build, i am also building a bratstyle xs but mine is a 400, still love it ill post some pics up later on maybe we can bump ideas off each other. Good luck keep us posted
Have you checked out bratstyle.com they have some nice 400's over there.

Are there more pics of the inspiration bike???
Walt
Walt, I first saw the pic on a different website. Then I saw a fellow member post it here as his inspiration bike. I like it and wanted to use it as a reference bike. Its clean and simple. That's what I'd like mine to be in essence (while adhering to whatever CA DMV motor regulations I need to get her road worthy.)

HionHiFi, do you remember where you saw the pics? I like the lines and very simple clean look of the bike. Any info would be good!
Walt

I think was bratstyle.com what I saw them initially. Don't remember at this point. But I think it was the aforementioned website.

Back