78e #2 is outside for testing today !

I think most of these you run across today are going to be a little rough around the edges, lol. It's pretty hard to find a really nice, pristine example anymore. When new, they were a reasonably priced pretty big bike and many 1st time riders ended up buying them. They didn't know much about how to maintain a bike, any bike. When sold used, they were even cheaper so the cycle tended to repeat itself. More 1st time riders got them. I suppose it's a testament to how well they were made that so many have managed to survive, lol. Now, gone through and fixed up, I think they're a wonderful bike. If you take care of them, they've got lots more years of service left in them. Mine's given me 12 so far and I look forward to many more.

Agree, in finding them. My best "luck" was to pounce w cash when I've found low mileage. This "rider" is a 12k mile bike which is still stock for swing arm bushings etc. I threw a chain on. Wiring was hacked . I duplicated what I had with much better connections/ rectifier. Frt brk is adequate.. starter needs the fix. All fluids are clean tho. Plenty of "Special"chrome parts now, And it rides very sturdy ! Can do anything on these bikes ! Cruise the local routes or step it up for a day trip over the Mtn pass.. even gravel stretches. This is a rescued bike . It was being converted into a low chopper or something and didn't get finished before I got it back to this. . Whew !! -RT ,btw,the next 78e to come out is what I am anxious to post ! Below
20170318_144615.jpg

Last edited:
OKAY.....NOW I get it!!! :) I can be a little slow. I'm in a hurry because I've got a lot to do tonight but I have to tell ya.....that bike doesn't look a little rough to me. You wanta see rough??? take a look at the gut bucket I'm riding around on. Now don't get me wrong I love it but it has seen better days. I didn't want to put a lot into it until I found out if it was trash and I wasn't 100% sure I'd like the XS at all. But all that has changed and now I don't want to take it off the road to fix it up....until I find another one.

TM.....I saw your PM and will answer you later tonight....but brother..orie-gone ain't THAT far away. ;)

Your bike is beautiful....that's all I see. Gota run, dogs to feed...your friend in NC Gordon

Today is the day ! I've moved the 78e out the back door for gassing up today. Whew on that too . Now its on a concrete slab primed with new yamalube 10/40 and new zero mile Dunlop tt100's, I've tested many things this am such as brake bleed, petcock function check, I set all the stock electrical well over a year ago ! Being a good neighbor until a Noon Start up attempt ! Pacific.. -RT
20170402_095119.jpg

OK RT - so how did it go? It's well past noon PST....and enquiring minds want to know....

20170402_105239.jpg
What Fun ! Good & Bad of course , the Good is : Carbs work beautifully ! Engine sounds so mellow and smooth ! Was very nice to hear those stock pipes again ! So I am very pleased with the running of the engine. The bad is of course the lack of charging ! lol.. not a complete surprise. So now here goes the rectifier checking and such. But hey I've gotten better since I reassembled the charging system. So I will now claim a mostly Victory ! for today -RT
20170402_123059.jpg

Lack of lighted room & parking is my biggest obstacle now. Lawn mowershed is full.. so two runners, one battery, one needing help.. I'm Ok with all this for spring ! today -RT
20170402_130530.jpg

Well Pete, the rider on the right has quite a few parts off of a 79Spec II , even the rear fender. So that little tail light fit nicer ! I sourced nearly all the little stuff locally last year at a swap meet. Now I wil test a few more components such as one more Voltage reg, and the rectifiers on the next sunny day. There are many differences in these two 78e's which are actually only 200 numbers apart off the line. Having Fun ! -RT

The original regs and recs are pretty robust. Unfortunately you're probably more likely to find a bad rotor. But maybe you'll get lucky and find the brushes just worn too short. Or sometimes just dirty slip rings cause them to lose contact. I've fixed non-chargers in the past by just cleaning the slip rings.

Even though the old stock mechanical regulator is robust, it's output is terribly inconsistent. I think this may contribute to failed rotors. It has the poor rotor jumping through hoops to keep up with it's constantly fluctuating output demand.

Yup 5twins, I've been in there rotor was out and cleaned. I thought it book tested ok.. I understand the variation of tbese VR's too. One of mine puts out way too much. (15.5+v) and I now have a third untested VR too. I took a chance on one stock rectifier but didnt know how to test it.. But next sunny day I can prove components out with my runner.. My Carbs on both bikes work so nice now ! I could idle at 850 today barely but , never a sputter of any kind ! 3rd kick start ! Minor adj. Done ! Runs Smooth ! Thank you -RT

What a great day RT! You have a beautiful set of bikes there. You'll get the charging system sorted out, you just have to be methodical. Those bikes are like twin sisters, you can see the resemblance but they each have their own personality! Well done.

5T: I don't have tons of experience with the charging systems on these bikes - but that sure makes sense to me. Back in the 70's my three year old 1975 XS650B used to chew through brushes every 7-8000 miles like clockwork.

TimeMachine: that lack of consistency is totally to be expected in a large assembly operation as a vehicle comes near the end of its production life. Precisely the same thing happens in the auto industry.

As I said before, the role of production people is to get units out the door and into the dealer network and they will use any danged part that will fit, in their quest to do that. As the end draws near, the supplies of different non-OEM parts like electrical and trim stuff can get pretty sketchy (in quantity, not necessarily in quality) and so you begin to see all sorts of listings in parts books about how this part "only applies from VIN xxxxxxxxxxx to VIN yyyyyyyyyyyy" etc.

Anyhow, as men have been saying to strippers for many years....you've got a beautiful pair there....;)

Pete

They must have changed and improved the brush material over the years. I checked the brushes on my '78 a couple years back and they were hardly worn at all. It had about 28K on it then and as far as I know, they are originals. But even if they're not, they would have been in there at least 10K miles because the bike had about 18K on it when I got it.

TM, the only good thing I can say about the original regulator is that it is adjustable. Yours that's putting out 15+ volts can probably just be turned down. And, on your non-charging bike, if you are seeing any charge increase when you rev it, even just a little, that reg could just need to be turned up. Here's how to do it .....

My bike wasn't charging as well as it should the first few years I had it. I was lucky to see mid to high 13s. The battery never died on me but I knew charging output should be better. Then I discovered you could adjust the regulator. I was able to set it so I got low to mid 14s. But, it was still inconsistent. That color changing L.E.D. charge indicator light clued me in to this. It glows orange from 12.4 to 13.2 volts, turns green above that. It would always go green by about 2K RPMs but randomly switched back to orange after that, even with revs as high as the mid 4000s. I think the vibration effects it.

Yes, frednpete. that brit style light was still in its "japan" box..the grabrail is also 79 spec II. . Headpipes, Spec II. gauges, footpegs, shocks, That 78 Bike I found with high bars, low cut seat, slash cut mufflers. Was so funny !

Back