'79 Special onto '77 Frame

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Hey this is a neat site, great info here.
I purchased an XS 650 project from a friend. I'm switching over most everything
from a '79 special onto a '77 frame. Got the frame titled in my name and have
begun tearing everything off the '79. I got the '79 running on the kicker, the starter
didn't work....think a bad starter relay. The engine seemed to run well and kicked right
up on the old gas pretty easily. It has a brand new set of Mikuni round slide carbs on it.
Although they are both left side choke carbs???

Well I will have to do some mods to put the rear disc brake onto the '77 frame.

Here are some pics:
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0272.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I have installed new steering stem bearings and new bronze bushings in the swingarm.
The fork tubes are some minty ones I found on Ebay...I like the black lowers.

The rear swingarms are different from disc to drum models. Axle length and spacers are also slightly different. The brake stay arm is on top versus underneath etc etc etc. If you can swap the entire swingarm assembly with wheel etc then no problem but from experience the parts are all mostly different.

right I have swapped in the entire disc brake swingarm, wheel, and axles/spacers from the '79. I will need to have the two tubes to locate the rear master cylinder, and a tab for the brake light switch.

Or I could find a drum mag wheel and use the drum swingarm maybe.

right I have swapped in the entire disc brake swingarm, wheel, and axles/spacers from the '79. I will need to have the two tubes to locate the rear master cylinder, and a tab for the brake light switch.

I'd go with the drum mag. Got anything to trade? hint hint.

All basic Mikuni round slides are left side choke lever (right side choke assembly). You can get kits to change it to a pull rod or cable operation. There are right and left handed models but that pertains to the side that the idle speed adjustment screw is on. Air screw is also on the left for all versions.

The rear drum mag is hard to find in my part of the woods... but as you can see someone has one waiting.. lol.

I was going to go with the rear drum but wanted the disc instead because the front has a disc..

I was just talking about this with some others. I have both drum and disc brakes on my bikes. The swingarms measure the same width at the axle plates.
The axles and the drive side spacers have the same part numbers on the drum and disc brakes.
The brake side uses a different spacer. The difference between the drum brake plate and the disc caliper bracket make it nessasary to have different spacers.
The only difference between the swingarms is the brake strut mount. the disc is on top the drum is underneath.

I'm sort of torn. If I had the mag rear w/ good drum brake, I would be a lot closer to road worthy. I have a drum brake swingarm in my parts bin. And the drum brake rear would probably look pretty clean.

But on the other hand the rear disc offers increased performance, and I'm just lacking a little fabrication work from hooking it up.

decisions decisions.

Back