79 special with standard seat

Jerritt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my 79 special. I kind of dont like the two teir style seat so I decided to try a standerd seat. I got one off of ebay for $40. Then an $80 mikes xs cover. The only thing I had to do was put 3 washers between each seat mount bolt and another 3 per bolt for the latch, that way it would level the seat on the bike

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 144
  • CAM00009.jpg
    CAM00009.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 148
  • CAM00095.jpg
    CAM00095.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 173
While I all ways thought the 2 tier seat was one of the nicer style points of the Special,you did good at 120. for a seat you like,and it looks like you did a nice job with the recover.:thumbsup:

Yep, great job!
Don't toss out the stock Special seat as the '79 could be the apex for that style.....I run one on my '83. To add, you may pick up a Standard some day and that refurbished seat fits the air box side cover lines of the Standard better than the angle cut of the Specials side covers.....yeah, I'm kinda anal lol

Yeah now you need standard side covers LOL Do they interchange?

Gary's home for wayward XS parts. Got home from work yesterday; wife said some guy named Jimmy stopped and left a 77 tank, side covers, rear fender and turn signals, Just dropped them off...... Nothing perfect but good candidates for a repaint. You think my reputation has gotten around?

Dangit! I have an aftermarket king and queen on my pan that is coming apart and I really want to go back stock. Good covers are easy to find, good foam, not so much.

Back