'79 xs650 Modern Cafe Build

I mounted the front of the tank and decided to use the stalks that originally held some reflectors. I was planning to cut the stalks off anyways, so why waste them.
CB2B8BB0-6F96-4800-8B83-250575926FDF_zpss5fnbfne.jpg

90E5C877-C918-41A4-8D49-9840558F1BAC_zpsbfg0khjm.jpg

C25CEB8B-4A59-495C-82EE-FEC313208D5F_zpsdjxrcmrt.jpg

BE754CA0-39E6-41F7-879F-49751AC7EA05_zpsgceeydnr.jpg

Perfect fit.

Between different forums and social media lot of people ask me about the expected performance of my build, or point out the flaws of using inverted forks and monoshocks on old bikes like this. So I just wanted to post a quick thought to address these issues...

I am building this bike for a specific niche, which is not racing or top performance. For anyone following who is new to vintage bike building, this is not what real performance looks like.
If I were building for performance I would have done almost everything different. I would have built the frame and swingarm to be more rigid, and from chromoly with a much thinner wall to save weight. I would have never used a mono shock or usd forks. Instead I would use some quality dual rear shocks and sourced some old Ohlins forks in the correct length with proper valving and spring rates. I would run adjustable triple clamps, nice Beringer brakes and the lightest wheels I could find. There would be a small aluminum fuel tank, engine mods galore, the list goes on and on. For a real performing xs650 check out what Richard from Mule is building. But, that's not what I wanted to build. I'd rather just buy a newer Ducati designed by top rate engineers.
That being said, my bike will still deliver plenty of performance for cruising my winding back roads and tight small-city streets. It will be as tough, reliable and safe as possible. It's unique, and if you ask me, it's going to look great. That is the kind of bike that I want to build and ride.

Progressing my fabrication abilities is my real drive, ending with something that I like to ride is just a bonus. Thanks for following!

Well said. I dig it! Keep up the build...I'm enjoying the work you're doing, and looking forward to the next stages.

Started on my indexable rearsets today. They are made from 1 1/8" solid aluminum rod and 1/4" aluminum plate. The rear master cylinder is harley sportster to match the rear caliper and rotor.

3CC66CB0-9BF0-4D2F-A47D-D6D3EF4A7B08_zps6oyw4zse.jpg

7D9A3322-F572-4C20-892E-AD4B10DFB68A_zpslep9jole.jpg

F5DE08DB-04E9-4AC3-8EB7-76C06C509545_zpsrhzkdykd.jpg

Just looking at them, if you're sitting upright, they're perfect...but I imagine if you're leaning down and riding aggressively, you'll want them back a bit. However, I'm 6' 1" and that may have a lot to do with my perspective. :)

Keep up the great work!

Mine are about an inch above the axle line and two inches behind the stock swingarm pivot, which puts them about directly below the center of my seat position. I like them there for sporty street riding, but if I was racing I could see wanting them a bit further back. I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam. Your subframe will put your seat height a bit higher too.
Looking good!

Great work Nick. I had to do a quick look at Instagram to be sure this was you haha.

Funny how 2 kids from the same elementary school grew up with the same passion. You seem to be a lot better at it than me though haha

Great work Nick. I had to do a quick look at Instagram to be sure this was you haha.

Funny how 2 kids from the same elementary school grew up with the same passion. You seem to be a lot better at it than me though haha

Haha Thanks man!

I liked your last bike. You're pretty ambitious taking on the project in Brooklyn, keep at it. [emoji106]

Back