79 xs650 stopped running on me.

So I think I am going to go with a pamco. On his site there are a bunch of options. Obviously I want the one that replaces the advance unit.

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Is the one in the far bottom right coil (E-advancer with dual output coil) the one I need? If I am correct, That would be the new version like what is in the middle column but it comes with a dual output coil.
Can anyone confirm?

That looks like the one you want but you could contact Pete to be sure. Personally, I like to use a better aftermarket brand name coil instead of that no-name China sparker. We're lucky in that we can use Harley coils on these bikes, and they're a dime a dozen on eBay. Another option is an MP08 coil from a Honda.

Well in preparation for my new pamco, I took the advance off and I think I found the exact reason why my bike stopped running. This is a picture of the back side of my advance unit where it interacts with that pin. Did my advance rod bind up? Idk how this happened as it spun pretty freely before, but I plan on cleaning the crap out of then lubing the rod up before putting it back in. What other precautions should I take to make sure my new unit doesn’t become toast?

Attachments

• EE827A98-5A9A-46AF-88F7-680F07119ED1.png
    EE827A98-5A9A-46AF-88F7-680F07119ED1.png
    943.4 KB · Views: 94
Yes, that was the issue. It allowed the timing to change, for the engine to get out of time. That advance unit backing plate is shot now. Usually this happens because the backing plate comes loose on the cam end. That notched ring that holds it on comes loose. The E-advance Pamco will replace and eliminate that part. You'll still be using the advance rod but it won't turn inside the cam any more. It will get locked in place and advance will be controlled by the E-advance unit. But, still do slather up the advance rod with some grease so it doesn't get rusty and seize into the cam.

Is anyone familiar with the wiring for replacing 2 coils with a single coil for the pamco wiring. Can I just use any of the red wires from the old coils and just cap the old stuff off that isn’t in use?

Basically yes, use either of the old coil power wires to power the new coil. The other old coil power wire can be used to power the Pamco if you like. That's how I wired it up on my '78. I added the appropriate connectors to my Pamco wires so they would just plug into the original harness connectors. I also re-used one of the points/condenser to coil wires (I chose the gray one) to connect the Pamco to the coil .....

MO1e2Qs.jpg

uKgTNI9.jpg

The coil I used didn't have spade terminals on it. Instead it had bolt-on terminal connections. Those would not have made for very quick or easy wire connects/disconnects, so I found some bolt-on spade terminals for them. Then I made up a couple short jumper wires that would plug right into the original harness connectors .....

khqu8jT.jpg

Xprz1CB.jpg

Good news! My new pamco ignition saved the day and my bike runs better than ever. I ended up using the red wires from each of the old coils to power the coil and pamco separately and grounded the unit where the old left coil mounted. Thank you all for the help. I really thought that something worse was afoot but am glad it was just the advance.

Back