8 plate clutch question

stinky78

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
There’s been a couple of threads of late about 8 plate clutch conversions, the alto plates are 2.5mm thick, does anybody know if this is the same thickness as the stock 78 - 80 GS1000 clutch plates? My reason for asking is I was thinking of getting a set of the altos but it would end up being pretty expensive by the time I had them shipped to Australia as I need 2 sets, I noticed cruizinimage has GS1000 clutch plates on their website and as I’m planning to order some pistons anyway it would work out pretty cheap to go that route, but only if they are the same thickness as the alto ones and of decent quality,,, thoughts anyone?

I did a quick search and a stock GS 1000 clutch has 8 plates. The GS 10000 performance clutch pack has 9 alto plates . My guess is the stock plates are thicker than the alto plates, allowing the use of 9 thinner plates for the same stack height.
Try a search to find the service tolerances of a stock GS 1000 clutch plate to confirm this though.

so I’ve decided to go ahead and get the alto set from gggGary, I can just relax cause I know the quality will be great, as an aside, when I was looking into this I saw on Partzilla how many bikes the xs650 shares clutch plates with, some of them a lot bigger and more powerful than the humble 650, they must have somewhat stiffer springs to handle the extra power and must also have correspondingly better actuation mechanisms, either that or you have to be a gorilla to ride them.

Back