8 plate clutch

I got new Alto plates and new yamaha steels in stock You usually just need to add one steel to your existing 7 What year is your clutch?

I haven't encountered the later 6 plate spring dampened clutch on anything older than an '80 model. I think the parts diagrams are wrong about them going all the way back to '78. Those same models show BS34 carbs which we know didn't happen until 1980.

77, its the D model. 7 friction, 6 steel. But you're saying that I can put 8 friction plates on with those alto plates?

Now tested and working as a 7 plate conversion into the 80 and up 6 plate clutches.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/alto-8-plate-clutch-mod-xs650sk.59804/#post-696317
a 7 plate conversion for 1980 and later specials with one Yamaha steel including USA shipping is $90
The 8 plate with one steel conversion for 79 and older clutches is holding in price at $100 shipped USA.
inquire for "other country" shipping.
As of June 2021, availability is pending, waiting on Alto to ship more clutch plates.

Last edited:
I am currently trying to resolve my grabby clutch with 8 plates, I believe the issue may stem from the springs compressed height. I am going to pull the RH cover back off this weekend and see if adding washers under the retaining bolts improves engagement.

I am currently trying to resolve my grabby clutch with 8 plates, I believe the issue may stem from the springs compressed height. I am going to pull the RH cover back off this weekend and see if adding washers under the retaining bolts improves engagement.
Tell us a little more about what was wrong to start with and how the install went? Scratching my head here but adding washers would make things worse?

I'm reassembling a bike with a hydraulic clutch from xs650shop.de. I got everything back together and it the slave piston wouldn't travel far enough to release the clutch pressure plate. I deduced that my pushrod needed to be slightly longer, so I made a tic tac shaped piece of metal in lieu of the ball bearing. This gave me separation of the clutch plates as observed, but when reassembled and tested it has a notchy/grabby feel to it. I've had this problem before on a yz250f that I was racing and it turned out that the inner clutch basket towers were slightly too short or the pressure plate bolts/spacers were to short, or the springs were too long/thick. When you try to compress the springs the coils bottom out on themselves because the cavity they are inside isn't long enough to begin with. Since I don't have the original clutch disks/springs/screws to try, I'm going to give it a 6mm washer's worth of extra space. and see if that increases my available travel enough to improve the engagement.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/17145-79-cent-fix-for-grabby-clutch/

I'm reassembling a bike with a hydraulic clutch from xs650shop.de. I got everything back together and it the slave piston wouldn't travel far enough to release the clutch pressure plate. I deduced that my pushrod needed to be slightly longer, so I made a tic tac shaped piece of metal in lieu of the ball bearing. This gave me separation of the clutch plates as observed, but when reassembled and tested it has a notchy/grabby feel to it. I've had this problem before on a yz250f that I was racing and it turned out that the inner clutch basket towers were slightly too short or the pressure plate bolts/spacers were to short, or the springs were too long/thick. When you try to compress the springs the coils bottom out on themselves because the cavity they are inside isn't long enough to begin with. Since I don't have the original clutch disks/springs/screws to try, I'm going to give it a 6mm washer's worth of extra space. and see if that increases my available travel enough to improve the engagement.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/17145-79-cent-fix-for-grabby-clutch/
Watch clearance from bolt heads to the side cover, there's not a lot of extra room. I'd be concerned the "tic tac" would cock in the bore and bind?

I've already relieved the side cover a bit where the bolt heads were hitting it, I forgot to mention that. The tic tac is made from a chrome plated m8 bolt shank and carefully radiused on each end. I should have taken pictures, but I work outside and it was getting dark (time for a beer) :cheers:

So no machining the clutch hub face then? This is good news. My heavy duty clutch springs reduced the slipping but did not eliminate it. Mostly a non issue, but full throttle application at highway speeds still gets me some slip at high revs. Sometimes I wonder if the vibration at high revs is causing a resonance in the springs affecting their clamping force.

So no machining the clutch hub face then? This is good news. My heavy duty clutch springs reduced the slipping but did not eliminate it. Mostly a non issue, but full throttle application at highway speeds still gets me some slip at high revs. Sometimes I wonder if the vibration at high revs is causing a resonance in the springs affecting their clamping force.

I didn't have to but my clutch hub does not have the recess in it like the later ones do.

Hi Gary. What is the current price, and shipping to Ontario?

Add $12 to these prices for Canada via USPS First class international. Note this may take longer than priority mail.

a 7 plate conversion for 1980 and later specials with one Yamaha steel including USA shipping is $90
The 8 plate with one steel conversion for 79 and older clutches is holding in price at $100 shipped USA.
inquire for "other country" shipping.

Back