'80 Cafe/Weird Project Monoshock

mathil

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey, thought I'd post up what I've done to desecrate my '80 SG...

I've cut it apart and monoshocked the rear. I got a set of 21" hoops and spokes from buchanans, and laced them up. I guess it's going to be a cafe with some boardtracker hints (equal sized large front and rear wheels)

Tore the engine apart and rebuilt it. Painted it. It sat in a box, painted, for 3-4 years kicking around my shop, so some chips appeared. I'll touch those up and paint/trim the exposed gaskets and gasket edges, probably after the final install, since it's sure to pick up more dings...

Still not done with the rear swing, needs another brace from the shock hoop back to the axle plates, and some gussets at the front. I might carve out a little bit by the chain for clearance, I'm thinking it's a little too tight there.

I threw on the stock tank just to see what it looks like, and to convince myself it's almost done...yeah, right. I'll probably be making a "continental style" tank out of carbon, and a seat to match. People sell the continental tank in fiberglass, but it's 500$, and there's no way I'll pay that when I have the composites know how and materials sitting around here ready to go. Shouldn't take me long to carve a plug out, and I have a bunch of 2 part foam laying around from my last large plug project.

If anyone has/knows the size of the spool spacer on the right side of the drum swingarm, I'm missing it. I converted from mags to spoked drum and the drum didn't come with it. I haven't found it anywhere online.

ehke.jpg

gzva.jpg

z0s4v.jpg

czij6.jpg

I started work on the tank. Gonna be carbon I think. Full plug/mould/part deal.

7zegg.jpg

Back