81 Exhaust Headers Only, no pipes, no baffles. Power?

Quinn_McLeod

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm running an '81 with stock headers, but with no pipes and no baffles. Just engine and headers (surprisingly, it's not THAT loud).

Am I losing power or performance? Some people say that motorcycles need "back pressure" created from the exhaust pipes or the baffles. Any truth to that?

It's not really back pressure, that's just an easier way to talk and think about it. What it really is is anti-reversion. Try Googling anti-reversion.
With short or no pipes you run a risk of cold air entering the engine after you shut it off and warping a valve.
Open pipes are called drag pipes for a reason, they are meant to maximize performance at wide open throttle, anything else, like the 1/8th to 1/4 throttle that 95% of street riding is done at and your performance will suffer.

Makes sense. I do plan on putting Harley Sportster straight pipes on to extend the headers, and then install baffles into those pipes at the end when I'm done.

Okay so has anyone used these mufflers? Are they any good? eBay item # 351044244622 Shorty Muffler. They seem cheap. Do they need baffles too?
I'd love some insight with these as I am looking to make an exhaust purchase this week.

Those usually have a removable baffle. Cheap, absolute minimum compliance with 'baffled muffler' laws of the '70s (if that still exists). On a budget, and if you must, they'll work. If exhaust sound is important to you, there's much better out there...

My take; any muffler is better than none. I have an 82 with a "bit" more muffler than those tc's. They at least knock off that exhaust valve pop that sounds so cheap. Too loud for me, a set of stock pipes should be back on it today. the mufflers will be available. I don't understand "baffles in a straight pipe" thinking. Why would you want to install "worse than open exhaust" pipes?

I don't understand "baffles in a straight pipe" thinking. Why would you want to install "worse than open exhaust" pipes?
Because baffles in a straight pipe work and sound better than straight pipes without baffles.

Because baffles in a straight pipe work and sound better than straight pipes without baffles.

Agreed.
So here's my question then - Harley straight pipes (for look), but with baffles so they're not stupid loud and I can actually get some "performance" out of them - OR what other after market options are out there that are good?

Basically, with just the headers, I feel that the bike has to work really hard to keep up with the speed of traffic. Look, I KNOW it's only a 650, I'm not complaining about POWER, I'm just wanted to get more highway speed use out of it, and I think some mufflers would help. I just don't know what to get for best highway speed performance.

These seem to work well; with foam filters in the stock boxes, BS34's mains up 3 sizes it's got a habit of overpowering the clutch at about 5500 RPM.

82 hs 001.jpg 82 hs 002.jpg

A bit loud for me but many would probably like the sound.

They tuck in nice and tight and don't interfere with brake or stands.

Back