Difference of new Commando Pipes and Headers

2XSive

At least one screw loose behind the handle bars
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to replace the stock mufflers on my 81 SH for some time. Bought the commando pipes and 1.5" headers since they were on sale at Yamahaxs650.com. I can't believe how much these pipes woke up my 650. Just pulls so much better across the revs. If anyone is running the overly restrictive stock pipes on your Specials, you will not be dissappointed with these pipes. Just make sure your carb is jetted to handle the free flowing exhaust, and to prevent blueing. The exhaust note is so much better as well. Wish I would have done this upgrade much sooner. :banghead: No, I'm not being paid to say this.

If you insist...shocks and seat are next. Brought a whole other level of fun factor to this bike.
16627655457235083333848381860748.jpg

I love your exhaust set up and plan on doing the same for my 81. Can I ask besides the header pipes and exhaust mufflers what other accessories did you need to mount it? Brackets, clamps, etc?

I like to add a "P" clamp to the headpipe, attached to the frame where the original headpipe tab did. I don't like the idea of hanging the whole exhaust system from just two mounting points (head and muffler hanger) ......

Commando-MAC.jpg

83P-ClampDone2.jpg

For mounting the muffler, you can use the original hanger bracket but will need to move it to the rear bolt where the passenger pegs were mounted .....

JoesMuffs2.jpg

But, it still won't line up with the sliding trak on the muffler. You can use the included hanger strap to bridge that gap ......

JoesMuffs.jpg

And if you look closely, you can see we also put a strap spacer between the hanger strap and sliding track. This moves the muffler out enough to clear the bolt heads at the front of the strap.

I bought a set from YamahaXS650.com They are lovely. Haven't started it up yet. I think a small dent arrived with the package.
16874862747913881047425254101134.jpg
This pipe has a toenail size dent, near the cone weld, facing the bottom of the rim. It will never be detected. The shipping box had some damage but I did not examine the contents carefully. I handled the muffs carefully when I started the fitting process. I will not complain nor blame the vendor because I did not do a carefull inspection on arrival. The muffs sat for several weeks in the corner before I started the fitting process.
16874862747913881047425254101134.jpg

Back