81 Special

Good suggestions. What's done is done. It will be interesting to see how the choke works.
At worst I may have to get another set of float bowls.

Last edited:
Some of the carb parts showed up today. So I thought I would install some of them. Not having much luck. The needle jets do not want to go in. I can press them in with my thumb about 1/3 of the way. I have run a bore brush through the hole many times without success. I have not tried heat or brute force yet. I would think it should just slide in there. And yes I know it as to be set correctly so the slot goes over the alignment pin. Any words of wisdom?
1704758179522.png
1704758393984.png

Are they real Mikuni jets or knock-offs? I ask because sometimes the knock-offs aren't machined correctly. And yes, they should slide most of the way in, only needing some slight tapping near the end to fully seat them into the hole. Then when you add the washer and screw the main jet into the bottom, that will seat the jet fully if it wasn't already.

They are from Niche. I do not think they are genuine Mikuni.
My originals measure at the same as Gary .3375. New ones are .3380. Now I need to decide use the old ones or spend time to size the new ones.

Hate to disagree with Jim :whistle: but I got 8.58mm :sneaky:
A small socket on an extension makes a good tapper inner.
I HATE making any hits on the raised orifice area cuz it's super critical.
Prolly would consider smoothing the bottom facing sharp edges with some 1000 grit
bs34 emulsion tube.jpg

Truth I was getting 8.57 and 8.58 but my Mitotoyo Caliper was hiding. :cautious:
15/64 would be a better socket than that 1/4" I show.

My originals measure at the same as Gary .3375. New ones are .3380. Now I need to decide use the old ones or spend time to size the new ones.
Just saving this. :laugh2:
Gary N jim.png

PS I'm the good looking one.

Last edited:

Thinking out loud not much to remove if i get it right 0.0127 mm Soft material spinning them in a drill against Grinding paper or a file but first check the other parts

Thinking out loud not much to remove if i get it right 0.0127 mm Soft material spinning them in a drill against Grinding paper or a file but first check the other parts

Agree with Jan. Some #6-800 and spin it with a drill or lathe. Ain't much to take off and it's not a sealing point, so...

Analog dudes in a digital world. :smoke:

PS. Thanks Bob!
Who you calling analog?
KIMG5569.JPG
How many can read it?
I'll admit :redface:, takes me a bit to remember the drill.
:) found the Mito
glj jet.jpg
Hey GLJ what'd you do?

Vernier caliper was dad's
KIMG5574.JPG
He made the case, 70? years old.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming,
C'mon Greg tell us what's up!

C'mon Greg tell us what's up!
Well the weather sucks, snow tomorrow and then it's going to get real cold.
Oh you mean the carbs?
Spent some quality time with some sandpaper and the needle jets. Then they went in. Did have to tap them in the last little bit. Made a tool to do that. Used some 5/16 aluminum and bored the end with a 3/16 end mill. Fit perfectly over the rise in the end of the needle jet. Installed new slides and the chokes. I got new choke valves but the are different. They could work with a e-clip and a spacer. I decided to save them and use the old ones. Waiting on the kits from China. They are in country, may get them Saturday I'm hoping.
1705014132363.png
1705014189373.png
1705014234105.png

Also working on the rear wheel. Just getting thing cleaned up. Funny thing when I got the first side of the tire off the rim out of habit I reached inside to pull the tube out. No tube!:D
1705014714735.png
1705014749642.png
1705014799093.png

Well the weather sucks, snow tomorrow and then it's going to get real cold.
Oh you mean the carbs?
Spent some quality time with some sandpaper and the needle jets. Then they went in. Did have to tap them in the last little bit. Made a tool to do that. Used some 5/16 aluminum and bored the end with a 3/16 end mill. Fit perfectly over the rise in the end of the needle jet. Installed new slides and the chokes. I got new choke valves but the are different. They could work with a e-clip and a spacer. I decided to save them and use the old ones. Waiting on the kits from China. They are in country, may get them Saturday I'm hoping.
View attachment 259441View attachment 259442View attachment 259443

Also working on the rear wheel. Just getting thing cleaned up. Funny thing when I got the first side of the tire off the rim out of habit I reached inside to pull the tube out. No tube!:D
View attachment 259444View attachment 259445View attachment 259446
REALLY. hmm, I didn't think that rim was rated tubeless? Someone drill out the hole for a tubeless valve stem?

Back