81 XS650 Bobber Build

Got a little ambitious tonight, and started assembly:D.
smie.jpg

0vf4.jpg

3eja.jpg

As you can see made decent progress. Once my tins and bars come back from powder coat things should really start to move along:bike:.

Got a little anxious and thew the wheels on with no spacers to see what I am working with, have to say I got a little excited.
1gmx.jpg

ur7x.jpg

I also decided to try sandblasting my brake rotor, turned out pretty good. It used to have some grooves but now they are gone. Just need to give it a good polishing, and hope it still works.:shrug:

BEFORE!
yfv2.jpg

AFTER SANDBLAST!
ik48.jpg

Its pretty dull, but should polish up nicely with a little effort.

Well got home from work, and had a nice surprise waiting for me. One of Hugh's discontinued hydraulic clutches that he found a box of:yikes:, and had them on his facebook yard sale.
5pg1.jpg

Just got back from the powder coater (hotrod2828), and the tins look awesome. I went with a heavy silver metallic base coat with transparent lollipop red top coat.

3tbh.jpg

59xj.jpg

j9fw.jpg

Looks good. Frame and wheels super nice. :thumbsup: Like the color choice tank and fender. Where did you get the rear fender?

Thanks! Rear fender was from Lowbrow. They have three different styles, the one I have with the flat top bump, one with a mohawk bump, and a plain smooth one.

Got a little farther on the build tonight.

r3ln.jpg

1gzb.jpg

35za.jpg

tnhw.jpg

Also took some pics of the inside of my electronics tank.

Fuse Distribution Block

9ivd.jpg

Ignition and accessory relays on left, HID slim ballast mounted along tank wall.

mywa.jpg

Painted and polished the carbs, and gave them a rebuild and larger jets.

iz4j.jpg

w287.jpg

Hopefully the bike will be running again this weekend:thumbsup:

Carbs look great! What did you use for paint?

Thanks Sci85. I used Plastikote engine enamel, you can get it at farm and fleet. Its seems to be pretty durable. I have done a couple gas test with it, and the gas didn't even touch it. I also used Plastikote engine primer first before the black.

Back