81 xs650 clutch issue

smokedyerstang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive got an 81 xs650 and im having a problem with the clutch not disengaging. Pressure at the lever is normal. If I kick it into gear it goes but the clutch stays neutral. I had everything apart to change the gear for the starter so I pulled it apart again and everything is together and aligned properly. Not sure whats going on. Let me know if you have any ideas:confused:

- did it all work properly before you pulled it apart
- if you lost a ball youre not likely to have pressure at the lever
- ??check the worm drive in the lh side case...the housing cracks, you pull on the lever and get pressure but the housing spreads, the pushrods dont move and the clutch doesnt disengage
- the cracking is often not so noticeable so take it apart, clean it...good time to check and clean the cable too

Explain "If I kick it into gear it goes but the clutch stays neutral."

Does that mean when you pull the clutch and put it into first gear, the bike doesn't kill or move forward? If so, your clutch is fine. If you are saying that you can put it into gear with the clutch out and it just sits there, then you are having a problem with your clutch engaging, not disengaging. :umm:

sounds like your missing a ball in the worm gear or the cable is not adjusted properly/or streched. check your balls(hahah!) and your cable its a simple start.

- not engaging... overadjusted? ... washers not in the right order? or more likely theres one missing?...did you follow the manual that conveniently forgets one washer?

- should be like this

clutchh.jpg

- have a look at the pushrod that pokes out the lhs-is the end machined to a smaller diameter so it can fit inside the worm gear, if not pull the rod out and look at the other end-the smaller end should point to the left and fits inside the worm gear...a missing ball is likely to result in no or reduced lever pressure

Back