'81 XS650 rebuild

dmschuler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New user here.

I have an 81 XS650 that needs new a new piston. I think it was running way too lean, which resulted in blowing a hole in one of the pistons. I decided to take this as an opportunity to tear the bike down and repaint the frame. I'll also be doing a few other reconditioning related things while it's apart.

I bought a replacement head and pistons. I'm going to start the work soon, so I thought I'd start here. Any advice as I break into the motor? I'm looking for a shop manual, so if anyone could suggest a good source for that, and a good source for parts, I'd really appreciate it. I'd also welcome any other suggestions or tips as I move forward.

Thanks!
Doug

Welcome aboard!
Clymer or Hanes manuals. There's also enough tech on this forum to get you through just about anything.
As far as parts MikesXS has just about everything although some people have had quality issues. Another great source is 650central.

Welcome to the forum. Getting a Haynes or Clymer service manual is a must. mikesxs.com or 650central.com are good places to get parts. Use the search option on here and make sure you pour over everything in the "Tech" section.

Same time post Dogger, LOL

Biker.net for a online manual until you score a hardcopy from new or used book store or e-bay. Lots of advice/support here and other online clubs. Find a "Bike Nite" at a bar/brewery and network there for some local help maybe. Oh yeah, Welcome to XS650.com and the XS650 brotherhood.

Just take your time and get some plasic big sandwich bags and mark everything when you take it aparts and do a check list so you mark everything off when rebuilding. Most books are good but things like cam removal and installation may not be clear.There are many good threads on here and other sites to answer questions. Clean everthing TOO.
There are a lot of VERY GOOD GUYS on here that will help talk you threw it. If stuck EMAIL ME or Call and i will walk you threw it Rebuilt more motors than i can count and i just had a XS 650 with hole in piston and the sucker ran with very little problems. WEIRD When i took it apat i was surprised to see a hole.
Well GOOD LUCK

DADDYG - Great idea. I did the same when I rebuilt my '82 maxim. Took a lot of pictures during the tear down too. Thanks for the offer of support - I definitely appreciate it!

GentlemanJim - I'm in Tonawanda near the Niagara River. And what do you mean "came to your senses and moved south?" What sort of sensible person would try downhill skiing without the snow? ;)

jims428 - Thanks for the link!

Bike nights are someplace every night in Buffalo. I live in north Buffalo and try to check them all out. Just waiting for this rain to stop. Check out hardtails.net

Posted via Mobile

Back