81 xs650 special 2 revival

jeeper96

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I picked this bike up in California and jumped through hoops to get a title. It ha been sitting in my garage for a yr. I finally ordered some of the parts I needed to get it rideable. It has 3915 mi on it and is a mess cosmetically. The original owner did some stupid things like rattle can on chrome duct tape and cross threading of bolts. I will be slowly transforming it to a cafe style loosing some of the 70's styling since a lot of it is a lost cause. Wish I could post pics

this is standard forum regulations...
attachment.jpg

We gotta get some before pics going. show us that donor your working with!

Very similar to the '82 Heritage Special that I started with - I like the double-laced spokes, but not everyone does. Here's a couple pic's with a different seat that changes the look for the better. :bike:

Attachments

• CafeHeritage_1.jpg
    CafeHeritage_1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Peashooter_1.jpg
    Peashooter_1.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 166
I scored a set of mags (drum rear) I'm going to put on! The spokies are to rusted to run with and I'm not a fan of the spokes. I will be cutting down the foam or running a whole new seat from weston.
I also picked up an aftermarket tail light I want to go with. Already got the good bars put on. I can't stand the wheel barrel handle bars.

Yeah, Nailbomb, must change the late-XS style taillight as'sy to use this seat. I bought a Lucas-style re-pop - they're widely available - looks like what's on the two bikes shown above, neither of which are mine. Jeeper 96's bike has fenders from different years, back one chromed and front one painted black. Pic's attached here are of my bike, showing it in original black color before mounting new taillight and later after more mod's, with new taillight.

Attachments

• cafeseat_1.JPG
    cafeseat_1.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 22Jun2014_3.jpg
    22Jun2014_3.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 181
My fenders were painted by previous owner hack job. Duct tape holds the tach cable together. He cross threaded bolts into the levers to keep them on.

If you're asking about the pipes in the first pic's I posted (not my bike), the 2-into-1 set looks like the XS Performance ones sold by Mike's XS. In the next pic, looks like peashooters were grafted on to stock Yamaha XS650 Special headpipes. Lots of info on this forum about how to do that with the original double-walled headpipes.

Eventually I am going to go with a 2 to 1 pipe I like the guy who build custom pipes but if he can't do it I will go with mikes.

Back