'82 front hub oddity

nighthog

A bit of a bike hacker
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've stripped the wheels down ready for powder coating the hubs then rebuilding with stainless spokes and alloy rims I got from MikesXS, and I just noticed a single spoke hope on the front hub that isn't coutersunk. I'm curious - is there some significance in this or is it just a manufacturing mistake?
20180120_163511.jpg

I've never heard of it before, probably just a mistake. Is that hole counter-sunk on the outside? If so, use it for an inner spoke.

Yes, it's 'normal' on the other side, so I suspect it's just a factory oversight. I did wonder though that someone would say 'yes, that's there because ... '.

I'm more familiar with the regular 36 hole hubs. Maybe that is normal on the 72 spoke Heritage hubs. Maybe it does mark where the inner spokes must start/go in order for the hub to lace up correctly. Some folks who actually have them are going to have to chime in here. All I've got is 36 hole hubs and rims.

Relaced a couple 64 spoke fronts and polished more, haven't seen that, Monday morning work? That saki can kick like a mule.
Maybe it's an illusion, but it looks a bit off center too.

Back