'82 Special started PMA without realizing points ignition requirements. HELP?!?

fishhat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

So I guess that this is the first post of the customizing of my '82 special. The bike never charged. It sat in my garage for about 1 year because I couldn't get it to run. No I have a bug up my ass to not only get it running, but to make it my own as well. My ambition got ahead of my intelligence and I ordered Hughe's PMA kit.

The Problem:
I was extremely excited to get the PMA installed. So as soon as it arrived, I tore open the case pulled the rotor, and then I CUT :doh: the wires for the both the electric ignition as well as the stator. :banghead: This is about when it clicked that the weird little device at the top of my stator with the wires coming off of it wasn't in the PMA instruction pictures.

So, now I find myself in a position where I need to install a pamco (for the purpose of making the best bike possible, I won't beat myself up too badly) onto an '82. Is there a good write up on how to do this? I'm looking at the 14-0912 and 14-0915 from MikesXS, is there a difference besides the included spark plugs?

Thanks for any help.
Matt

P.S. in case you haven't figured it out, I am completely new to anything mechanical. There is a good chance that this whole thing could blow if it hasn't already.

There are tons of PMA threads on here, tons. Just use the "search" function. Also, in the "tech" section under electrical there are the sticky threads covering all the PMA/Pamco stuff you would ever need. Hours of reading on these two subjects.
Welcome to the forum. And we want pictures....now.

Alright, placed an order for the Pamco Ultimate High Output Ignition System + Advance Part #14-0915 from MikesXS as well as an equus digital timing light. Time to wait.
I'll get some pics up asap.

Pamco is in the mail, picked up a tdc stop tool & degree wheel today. planning to tear apart the ignition & electrical system this weekend (will post pics) when I get the pamco in on monday, I'll install it & try to set the timing (if I can figure it out without causing too much damage)

My best advice is to take your time and make sure that you get your timing mark spot on. If your timing mark is off everything else will be also. If you take your time with them neither of these mods are to terribly difficult to do. Did you get the decal from Hugh for the timing marks that goes on the LH cover under the alternator cover?

fishhat,

I always make this suggestion:

I suggest that you power up the PAMCO with a separate battery just sitting on the floor for the first startup with the PMA. It's possible for the PMA to either not produce an output or to produce a very high voltage upon initial startup due to a wiring mistake. If it is a high voltage mistake, that could boil the battery or cause the capacitor to explode, so wear safety glasses for that initial startup as well. Make sure you have a voltmeter connected before you startup as well so you can see the problem right away and shut the engine off.

Back