82 xs650 carb issue?? Please help

Bradferddd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I just bought it. Its a kickstart and its a custom hard tail. Cleaned carbs cleaned jets finally got it to a good idle changed both spark plugs also. It idles fine now but everytime i go to give it gas it sputters and backfires and such. I cant find a mark of what carbs it has but i think they may be stock. They have the stock xs pods on it has dumped exhaust pipes pretty short. The jets in it now are a 110 main and a 35 pilot. Its running lean i dont think its getting enough air. Pulled the new plugs out and theyre black. ( i havent even ridden just start up for trial and error) im lost and i dont know a whole lot about the bike so any help is greatly appreciated. I can try to get u whatever info u need off the bike.
Even if someone can identify what carbs i have and what the stock jet sizes are as well as what size jets i should have in it.
Thank you all!!

I'm thinking those are Mikes PWK's. Look at the carbs in the link. Various size jetting is available thru Mikes.
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-82.html#products
Note at the end of each item description Mikes advises NO instructions are available as the intended market is technicians and dealers.
In other words your are on your own bud. Kinda makes you wonder about their commitment to anything other than taking your money.

There are a couple threads on site. Search for mrriggs and pwk. He did some very exhaustive work trying to get them to work.
A few others (very few) have reported satisfaction with that product, Pamco Pete being one. You might pm him for jetting advice.

FYI, pods are not stock, I believe the intake manifolds are not stock.

Welcome here, keep this thread going with what you discover and need to know.

Scott

Last edited:
Okay so as for jetting. Should i go woth bigger or smaller sized jets. I just need to know where to start. Thanks for the replys btw.

Okay guys well im currently working with a 110 main and a 35 slow (pilot) and im going to order a 30 slow and see how that goes. As of right now i dont think ill need a different sized main.

Back