'82 XS650 No Spark / Ignition Coil+Ignitor Unit Question

Sidecar650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster. I just purchased a 1982 XS650 Heritage Special (with a stock ignition system, only electrical work I can see is the wiring added to get the sidecar lights "working") a few days ago and upon diagnosing a failure to start, I saw that there was no spark coming from the plugs. I poked around on the forums here a bit and found Morbidxs650's 1981 Wiring diagram here
http://www.xs650.com/threads/some-wiring-diagrams.61/page-39#post-487280

My question for you guys is this:
Should I be seeing 12VDC at both the orange and red wires going into the coil as seen in the diagram above? Right now I'm getting 11.6V into one wire and about 0.4V into the other without attempting to turn over. Does the ignitor unit split the voltage depending on which cylinder is going to fire or should it be a constant 12V to both wires? (Or is that diagram the wrong one to be using for a stock 1982 650?)

Furthermore, where can I find a manual for the '81-'84 650s? The link posted under the Tech heading appears to be for 78-80 models, I spent a good half hour trying to find a condenser until I realized why I couldn't locate it! :laugh:
Thanks!

ps. I'll be heading to the shop after making this post to grab some new plugs to see if that's the issue as well.

The TCI system fires both plugs at the same time. One plug will be firing for the power stroke while the other will be firing on the exhaust stroke. It's called "wasted spark" ignition system. It's not unusual for the TCI unit to die. It is 33-38 year old system. Components wear out or "blow up". Joints fail. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors breaks the corrosion at the joints and the components work again.

Back