83 XS650S Spitting Oil and Smoking out of Cam Seal?

hermoistbox

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to start off by saying I'm very grateful that this community is here, as I am very new and inexperienced to all of this but I'm willing and ready to learn.

I took my '83 Special out for a ride and noticed my Engine block was spitting lots of hot oil onto my leg from around the sparkplug area on the left side. When I say spitting, I mean I could see oil splatter on the pavement past where I put my left foot down to avoid the sizzle. I've opened up the covers above the sparkplugs (which I've learned should be dry in there from other posts on the site) that have small amounts of oil that appear to be coming from the cam seals, and i checked both sides. I will upload pictures of both. I know I need to replace those, but I would like to know how to diagnose if there are other areas that could potentially be leaking as well.

Thank you for your time in responding to this in advance.

Attachments

• 16929400668397501221862522998314.jpg
    16929400668397501221862522998314.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 16929400991905622937694658975234.jpg
    16929400991905622937694658975234.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 16929401236958804821228511462694.jpg
    16929401236958804821228511462694.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 81
Other leaks should be pretty apparent. Have a close look around the cylinder base gasket and the cam chain adjuster cover (on the back, between the carbs).

The other frequent source of leaks is behind the front sprocket. Take the left side cover off, clean the area thoroughly and go for a short ride (after replacing the cover). If the output shaft seal is leaking, you'll see it.

Occasionally, tho not common, the crankshaft seal behind the alternator rotor (also under the left cover) will leak.

Forgot to add:

Have a look at the crankcase breather. On the back of the head, above the carbs, may have a "Y" connector with two hoses or may be a single hose. Make sure it's not plugged (creating pressure problems within the cases) or there's not excessive oil or oil mist coming out of it (indicating blowby/worn rings).

Hi, what should we call you? And welcome to the madhouse.

The oil behind the cam covers doesn't look like enough to cause the spitting you describe. I wonder if there's a leak around the valve cover? Need to try and identify where it's coming from. Maybe go for a run to get the oil hot, then park leaving the engine running and see if you can spot it? Next step might be to clean off the engine, and see where oil appears.

I think @Downeaster's suggestion of blocked breather is worth a look - if pressure builds up inside, that will force oil out.

Someone's been into that motor and there's evidence showing they weren't "master mechanics"
The valve covers on an 81 should NOT have gaskets they use O-ring seals that properly installed are very effective.
There's sealant oozed out of the cam cover/head joint, that's not a good workmanship sign either.

Piling on the good advice already given;
Yes use mineral spirits, clean off the oil, you can dust a bit of talc powder then watch where the oil comes out with it running, cuz first step is to know WHERE the problem is.

Forgot to add:

Have a look at the crankcase breather. On the back of the head, above the carbs, may have a "Y" connector with two hoses or may be a single hose. Make sure it's not plugged (creating pressure problems within the cases) or there's not excessive oil or oil mist coming out of it (indicating blowby/worn rings).
Thank you for the timeley response. This Y connecter connects into the front end of the carbs, right next to the cylinder head, correct?

Hi, what should we call you? And welcome to the madhouse.

The oil behind the cam covers doesn't look like enough to cause the spitting you describe. I wonder if there's a leak around the valve cover? Need to try and identify where it's coming from. Maybe go for a run to get the oil hot, then park leaving the engine running and see if you can spot it? Next step might be to clean off the engine, and see where oil appears.

I think @Downeaster's suggestion of blocked breather is worth a look - if pressure builds up inside, that will force oil out.
My name is Cedric and thank you. After I get everything opened and clean it, I'm going to start her up and watch very carefully, this happened last night so I wasn't able to see very well and did not want to spit hot oil all over my garage. I'll have more updates and pictures once I get in there.

Is this a 'new to you bike' and has there been any top end work done on it?
This is 100% a new to me bike, as a matter of fact this is my first bike. The previous owner told me there had been some carb work and electrical work done to it recently but I'm not sure of everything that's been done here yet. Still trying to learn the machine.

Someone's been into that motor and there's evidence showing they weren't "master mechanics"
The valve covers on an 81 should NOT have gaskets they use O-ring seals that properly installed are very effective.
There's sealant oozed out of the cam cover/head joint, that's not a good workmanship sign either.

Piling on the good advice already given;
Yes use mineral spirits, clean off the oil, you can dust a bit of talc powder then watch where the oil comes out with it running, cuz first step is to know WHERE the problem is.
Okay I'll look into which kind of O rings I'll need. I'm lucky that the previous owner also had a manual in mint condition so I should be able to find part numbers once I've located the source.

Thank you for the timeley response. This Y connecter connects into the front end of the carbs, right next to the cylinder head, correct?
No, it's above the carbs and the hoses route down, usually over the back motor mount, but not always. The purpose is to direct oil mist (which is normal) down onto the ground vs. all over the engine.

Attachments

• breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 40
'83 should have a single outlet on the breather which is then routed and T'd to the air filters.
I've put a Dorman power brake booster valve on my single outlet, Reed valve is similar if not the same. The reasoning is to remove internal engine block pressure which can force itself out in innumerable places if not relieved......

My initial thought was the cam end bearings having not been seated into the head fully and thus the rubber seals/bushings not set properly.

Some good advice has been given. Address the breather -a good place for mud daubers if the ends are open, clean up the engine and then dust the suspect areas with powder.

IF you install a reed valve or power brake booster first, and internal pressure was the problem, you MAY see less leaking.
Welcome aboard Cedric!

Uhm, Cedric, I hope I'm reading this wrong. The Y connector dos not go into the carbs - comes from the back of the cylinder head just above the carbs and vents to fresh air. Or can be routed to the air filter box under the saddle. Sorry if I have misunderstood your post . . .

but if somebody like the PO has connected the ends to, say, the vacuum take-offs in front of the carbs, I can only imagine that would cause a lot of oil to get sucked outa the engine.

Welcome Cedric,
Lots of help here as you can see.
For parts Yambits.co.uk is a great source when you need bits.

Hey everyone, so the problem ended up being much much larger than I initially thought. I saw oil leaking from around the cam seal so I thought that was the cause and immediately got to work but as you can see in the pictures below, I believe it's the cylinder head that ruptured. Does anyone know where I can find what I should replace..or alternatively if it's a better idea to just get a new bike? I don't want to part ways with my first bike if possible but I just discovered this about 30 minutes ago so I'm trying to make the smartest decision here and would like some more expierienced insight.

Attachments

• 20230908_004700.jpg
    20230908_004700.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230908_004626.jpg
    20230908_004626.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230908_004615.jpg
    20230908_004615.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230908_004608.jpg
    20230908_004608.jpg