83xs with just a pamco ignition

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im almost done with my build and im down to the wiring part, i have an 83 xs650 and im using the stock alternator and im running a pamco ignition system, ive been looking through the wiring diagrams under the tech section but i have no idea on what one to use? any idea would be helpful, thanks

With the minimum of wiring adaptations the Pamco Works great. Just follow the install instructions at www.yamahaXS650.com
If you do then your bike will run great.
Leo

There's no diagram, just written instructions. Power from your ignition/kill switch to one of the wires on your coil and also attached to red wire on Pamco. Green wire on Pamco goes to the other side of the coil. Black wire on Pamco goes to ground.

Gotcha. Find a diagram in the Tech section that most suits your needs. There are more diagrams scattered throughout the whole thread - not just the beginning. I used this one to start with since it had basically every option, and you just eliminate what you don't need:

xs650allyears.jpg

I eventually modified it til I got it how I wanted, and then found another diagram that I liked and modified that one to suit my needs as well (adding turn signals, etc - whatever you need).

This is the one I ended up with. I saw the base diagram on here with some of the photos on it and liked it, so I changed it around and added stuff I needed (turn signals, horn, etc.)

wiringXS01_zpsfd1bc8a9.jpg

Retro,

How much draw is there with the key off and an amp gauge where you have the 20 amp fuse.

Or in other words how much does the reg/rec draw?

Your setup has it powered all the time.

Does it not drain the battery?

I believe that's how they are generally wired, but I could be wrong. I don't have my manual with factory diagram in front of me. Never had any problem with it draining the battery. Have started the bike after sitting for 3 weeks (not on a charger) and starts right up with full voltage. The first diagram I posted from the Tech section has it the same way.

Retro,

How much draw is there with the key off and an amp gauge where you have the 20 amp fuse.

Or in other words how much does the reg/rec draw?

Your setup has it powered all the time.

Does it not drain the battery?

The red wire from the reg / rect is the output from the rectifier side. The diodes prevent current from flowing from the battery to the stator windings.

The brown wire powers the regulator and the rotor windings and it looks like it is off when the key is off.

Just remember that the reg / rect is actually two seperate devices in the same housing, they are not connected in any way except for a common ground.

That's a nice diagram. The only thing I would change is where the 20 amp main fuse is. I run the red from the reg/rec straight to the battery, then have the fuse between the red wire between the reg/rec and battery and switch.
The main fuse should be between the sources of power and the rest of the electrical system. In most cases there are two sources of power, the battery and the alternator. Lets say something shorted and the main fuse blew. If there is enough residual magnetism in the rotor, the alternator will keep putting out power, this can keep power flowing to the short, making the short worse and causing a fire.
I also ran the brown to the reg/rec and brushes from the fuse box with a 10 amp fuse.
Your horn is still not grounded right. The ground comes off the horn button. Power in on one side, out to the button, button to ground.
Leo

That's a nice diagram. The only thing I would change is where the 20 amp main fuse is. I run the red from the reg/rec straight to the battery, then have the fuse between the red wire between the reg/rec and battery and switch.
The main fuse should be between the sources of power and the rest of the electrical system. In most cases there are two sources of power, the battery and the alternator. Lets say something shorted and the main fuse blew. If there is enough residual magnetism in the rotor, the alternator will keep putting out power, this can keep power flowing to the short, making the short worse and causing a fire.
I also ran the brown to the reg/rec and brushes from the fuse box with a 10 amp fuse.
Your horn is still not grounded right. The ground comes off the horn button. Power in on one side, out to the button, button to ground.
Leo

Yup you're right! Shows how bad of a memory I have. Mine is wired up right, I just can't remember it and put it on the drawing :laugh:

That is a nice diagram! i was just confused about the pu ignition on mine, didnt know if i keep it or get rid of it, i take it that i get rid of the pu ignition on the top of the stator/alternator

PU ignition? Do you mean the ignition pick up for the stock TCI?
When you install the Pamco the TCI ignition pick up on the stator can be removed. Sell it to some one who needs it.
Leo

Back