84 Heritage Special Exhaust Crossover Gasket??

canuck1969

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Putting my 84 Special back together and just trying to rig the exhaust back up. The crossover on mine differs from the part manual and when I took it apart there was no crossover gasket. Didn’t think much of it as it was a restoration and figured it was just missing. Ordered the one as per the parts manual and there is no way to install it. It will not fit.

My crossover is a separate pipe that can be removed in it’s entirety. Is that the ways the 84s came. One side looks like a friction fit and a good clamp and maybe some sealer would seal it. The other side looks like a gasket could fit in there but it would be tight.

Was this stock or someone’s repair of the crossover. Sure as hell looks stock. If stock is a gasket required or just sealer and a clamp. Looks like sealer would do it but just want to be sure I am not missing something.

Crossover pipe
8EFF9C29-1496-4330-998B-CDB2FD16AEDC.jpeg

Left Side

36E7847B-1006-496F-B5A1-585B8C5B1C6F.jpeg

Right side

7D7011E6-1F62-4024-B5F3-A9736E81396A.jpeg

Not stock, sorry.
That crossover was really subject to rot. A low point it held water and was a cool place for exhaust moisture to condense.

They did! Looks like stainless?

Looks to be so. Had to order a smaller T drive clamp as the pipe on the right side is 1 5/16” and smallest muffler clamp I could find was 1 1/2”. Not a big issue since that is the press fit side. Other side is 1 1/2” so all good there.

Amazingly nice looking fit-up on that part though. I am not that familiar with Special exhaust systems - I thought it was a factory part.....:umm:

Amazingly nice looking fit-up on that part though. I am not that familiar with Special exhaust systems - I thought it was a factory part.....:umm:
The cross over system itself is factory but looks like it was modified at some point in its life as the crossover pipe most likely rotted. Someone modified a mandrel bent piece of SS pipe fittings to bridge the exhausts. Only issue is there is no gasket so hopefully some muffler pipe sealer and clamps will be ok. I have made gaskets from fiberglass gauze before for my Guzzi so may have to try that in combination with the sealer. If there was a gasket in there is was something that was not stock and finding one the right size will be next to impossible. The gap is pretty small so I am guessing there was not one, but who knows at this point.

Back