A big thanks and a picture from the uk

wymondham1979

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys just thought I would post a current picture (no visible difference LOL)and say a big thank you for all the great info and help on this forum

I haven't had time to do any asthletic custom stuff on the bike as i,ve been following all the setup info replacing parts to get her running nice

I should have cam chain adjustment ,valve lash,timimg, brushes, setting points, torque, fork oil etc Tattooed on my arm somewhere LOL getting to know the bikes little ways has been great fun and I'm thoroughly enjoying the adventure

I dare not list the parts I have replaced or repaired for fear the little woman indoors might actually realise what they actually cost and every time she bring me a cup of tea in the garage I seem to have another parcel to open (I've taken to hiding the jiffy bags LOL)
The bike running great "at the moment"just waiting for the next drama LOL but hopefully we will have some sort of summer in the uk so I will actually get to ride her more often

Thanks again

PS: and if your buying parts off Fleabay

shocks and bearings etc. have a good look over before fitting ,quality control is not what it used to be ,the shock snapped luckily on the motorway exit "a little scary" but I needed to change of underwear anyway LOL and to be fair the cracked tapered bearing (on the right) was replaced very quickly but I'm now inspecting everything with a magnifying glass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 206_0512.jpg
    206_0512.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00099.jpg
    DSC00099.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 174
wow thats very scary!. If you cannot trust new parts what can you trust ?

Pleased to see a stock bike for a change. I'm restoring my 79 stock too. It looks very shiny so you must have hidden an awful lot of jiffy bags somewhere ....:D

Hi guys the shock snapped just exiting the motorway so I was sightly cranked over decelerating around 50mph it felt like the bike had developed a hinge in the middle ,thank god its a twin shock bike !!what annoys me most is I,ve have a few aftermarket cheap import parts from "how can i put it" from the continent of Asia !!!!!!!!!!!!that have been very poor quality
I cant really complain as the UK is now one enormous service industry I don't think we actually make anything anymore ,the only thing that doesn't have a made in china sticker on it in my house "is me LOL"

When I bought the bike I had big plans for bobber/tracker but from my youth I always love the look of these bike and to be honest some of the bikes on here are absolutely brilliant and every time i look through the "show us your xs postings" I,m inspired but in all diferant directions LOL what i really need is five bikes

a tracker , bobber , original xs1 green , cafe racer , this red 477 one Ahhhh

but having spent all yesterday replacing the clutch push rod bushing only to find the new oil seal is leaking !!!!so its oil seal two today "one bikes enough LOL"

Attachments

• DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 124
  • xs650-chop-DSC00007-587x271.jpg
    xs650-chop-DSC00007-587x271.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 115
Hi peanut a fellow uk member don't let the shiny looks fool you ,the list of work and parts is endless I,m semi retired and have lots of free time or I did until i bought this bike LOL I bought it as a sort of hobby

And learning how everything works was part of the challenge theirs always something to do and now the bike has developed a noise on start up that goes when warm not valves but from the info I can gather on the forum cam chain guide coming un glued more work, these bike are lucky they instill such a passion in the owners but if i needed it to commute I would throw it off the cliffs at dover and buy a CBR600 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Yow I bet that was scary! I have only broken one shock, it was on a Norton but to be fair we had three guys on it wandering around trails at Road America back in the day, I think I had done some "hill climbing" that day also.

Thanks for the heads-up on the shocks. It was poorly designed. Had they tapered the rod to the thread instead squaring and threading it probably wouldn't have broken. I really like your bike. Very nice indeed. :cheers:

Back