A bunch of questions.

shawn00sa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I picked up a 72 last year. It had been sitting a garage for years. The engine was seized up and overall just needed tlc. I got it running, tuned up, cleaned up and new tires. It is a blast to ride......but. I have always wanted a cafe style bike. I have decided to just jump in and do it. I just have so many questions. Here we go. Any input would be appreciated.

Wheels.....Where can I get rims, spokes and nipples. I want to lace up my hubs on black rims. I have a set of conti attacks in stock size I would like to use.

Speedometer ....Is there a good option for a speedo to use with the stock cable? One that has a neutral light and I could mount to the triple clamps? What is the deal with the speedo eliminator? What would I use for a speedo if I used this. I like the idea of the build being "clean".

Fork covers... Keeping the clean look. Where can I get some that would work with clip on bars and could be black?

Are there any 34mm billet clip ons avail? 72 forks are 34 mm correct?

Are there any for tubes available for 34mm?

Wiring?.....I want the whole bike clean and simple. Should I go with a different ignition and charging system? Which one? What are my options for switches? Starter, turn signal, ign, horn? The same with lights. What are some clean simple ones?

I am thinking of building my own rear sets. Is there a design theory behind these? Maybe a proper riding position to end up with? Or just buy some?

Keep the stock carbs or upgrade to new ones?

Where do I get a master cylinder for the front that fits in with this build. Clean and small..

I know it's a lot of questions, just trying to get my ducks in order.

Wheels.....Where can I get rims, spokes and nipples. I want to lace up my hubs on black rims. I have a set of conti attacks in stock size I would like to use.

mikesxs or ebay for rims and spokes and buchanan for spokes. sure there are other places

Speedometer ....Is there a good option for a speedo to use with the stock cable? One that has a neutral light and I could mount to the triple clamps? What is the deal with the speedo eliminator? What would I use for a speedo if I used this. I like the idea of the build being "clean".

look around there are plenty of options you would need a speedometer drive with a 2240/792 = 1:2.828 ratio or 1:2. if you use a speedo eliminator you could use a digital one, like one used for a bike, or you could mount your smart phone and use an app.

Fork covers... Keeping the clean look. Where can I get some that would work with clip on bars and could be black?

dont think these are made anymore...well one guy is, but i think they are 35mm

Are there any 34mm billet clip ons avail? 72 forks are 34 mm correct?

yes think there might be a set in the classified ads right now

Are there any for tubes available for 34mm?

mikes xs

Wiring?.....I want the whole bike clean and simple. Should I go with a different ignition and charging system? Which one? What are my options for switches? Starter, turn signal, ign, horn? The same with lights. What are some clean simple ones?

do a forum search on this one..might be into a pma? spendy, but would get you what you want. just depends on your style/build

I am thinking of building my own rear sets. Is there a design theory behind these? Maybe a proper riding position to end up with? Or just buy some?

if you dont know, not to be rude, but it may be less of a headache to just pick up a set. have you ever rode a bike with rear sets? try riding for hours with them. This is not a long haul position. your arms will grow tired and fall asleep, you back may hate it too.

Keep the stock carbs or upgrade to new ones?

are you trying to spend money or save money?

Where do I get a master cylinder for the front that fits in with this build. Clean and small..

huge handbuilt provides one or you can find something on ebay. bmw makes one that can hide under the take or in and around that area. sure others make these too.

I know it's a lot of questions, just trying to get my ducks in order.[/QUOTE]

that iz a lot of questions. My area isnt cafe racers, but i'll tell ya what i know.

wheels- rims and spokes can me had from Mikes XS. Some of his parts get bad reviews, but i believe ive heard that his rims and spokes are good quality. you might have a better chance to find a set of factory rims that are in better shpae than yours. hubs can be cleaned, polished, and new bearings put in.

speedo- most people seem to run stock or nifty digital types. maybe digital would be the thing for you. a search on here should pull up some info.

i'm not well versed on fork covers or clip-ons. look around on here to get some ideas.

wiring- there are pre-made wiring sets,(mikes xs, TC bros) and some forum members that will build you a harness. switches, buttons, all that- there are a million ways to do it. personally i'd leave all that stuff stock (worked fine for years), until i had a better idea of what i wanted/needed. the stock charging system is perfectly functional. the pamco kit works great, but at $400 plus is kinda steep.

rear sets- again, not my area, but they are common on ebay and various websites.

carbs- you can spend a lifetime researching wildcat carb/intake combinations, and you might get a few extra horsepower or a smoother idle for the trouble. or you can just bolt on the factory ones and ride away. again, they are perfectly functional and work fine.

master cyl- you do need to get one that is compatible with your wheel caliper (the piston inside needs to be the correct size), but fortunately its a common size. my master cyl is from a honda rebel, works fine. Ebay has quite a few types.

the forum is a huge source of archived info, dont be afraid to search. Also, we love pictures! good luck, and have fun with the build!

it looks like someone kinda beat me to a reply here, but i'm posting this anyway. :thumbsup:

I picked up my brake master cylinder from 650 central. A Magura with a yz style lever..coupled with braided stainless lines its nice , small, powerful ,and new. Mike is a good guy to deal with. Very knowledgeable and helpful on any build. He's got EZ PULL shorter clutch cables too.

If you are worried about money, those ebay master cylinders are around 30 bucks and have served me well. The stock speedo, or tach, used as a single mounted in the center looks great. If you stick with the points, you can really clean up the wiring by using a dual output coil. Connect the points wires together, runs to one side of the coil. The other side requires only a switched hot wire from the battery. Hang a condenser on the same post with the points wire and you have a complete ignition. Other wiring required for lights and if you use it, electric start. Some toss the starter and plug the hole to simplify and save weight, you can do a search. I don't care about the starter myself, if I can't kick it a time or two I shouldn't be riding it.

Back