A few clutch safety switch questions

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Here are a few clutch safety switch questions I have gathered.

1: My bike is a 1979 Special. Does it have one? I see no wires from the clutch. Wondering if a PO removed it, or if it never had one.

2: The 2 wires in a clutch safety switch. When the clutch is pulled, does that create connectivity between the 2 wires or break it?

3: In a factory state, does it tie into which gear you are in? In other words, do you need to pull the clutch in to start the bike in 1st gear, but you're free to start it without pulling the clutch in neutral - do I have that right?

In case you are wondering what the hell I'm doing: I am converting the automatic headlight to have it's own on/off switch and my safety relay is kaputt, so I'm replacing that as well and I'd like to tie the clutch into the starter button to at least have a little protection from accidentally hitting it. Hence the wire connectivity question.

More searching brings up various bits of info. I have found both 80 and 81 as the starting year for them, so that would leave the the theory of my 79' never having one intact.

Same bits of reading seemed to mention the same years for tying it into the starter circuit, so it seems I never had one and the neutral light is nothing but a light on it's own.

Just leaves the question of connectivity of the switch. Does the switch create it or break it?

If your safety relay is not working, why don't you just buy another used safety relay from someone in the classified section.

If you want to use a clutch switch, you would need to add a Starter Lockout Relay, which is what the 1981/82 and 83 years used. Most people remove those interlocks.
Look on page 159 and 160 of the Haynes XS650 Manual, and you will see its not so simple or desirable to add interlocks.

If your safety relay is not working, why don't you just buy another used safety relay from someone in the classified section.

Good question. The answer is that a used relay will still be:

- Big
- Orange
- 37 years old
- half redundant since I'm getting rid of the lighting portion of it

If you want to use a clutch switch, you would need to add a Starter Lockout Relay, which is what the 1981/82 and 83 years used. Most people remove those interlocks.

My logic was much simpler. I was simply going to use the clutch switch wires to "break" the power going to the starter button. This is - of course - assuming that pulling the clutch completes the circuit instead of breaking it, which was the reason for that question being in my list.

Does my logic hold up? Or is there a reason why I would want to not do it like that?

Thanks

Well there you go, having to be all logical again ..... d@mn it! Good point.

Maybe I'll see if I can trip a regular automotive relay with the yellow wire from the PMA instead and see if that can turn into something.

Back