A few questions

VENMUS

Fabricator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Okay folks, short and sweet:

First of all, I had my TCBROS hardtail welded on this morning. Turned out excellent. I also ordered the rubber mounted sportster gas tank from them as well which came with mounting hardware but no instructions. Now I'm not a total loof that can't figure anything out, but why is their 7 (odd number) washers, and one bolt is about 6" long while the other is about 4", and the steel-sleeved-grommets.... ? Does anyone actually know how it's SUPPOSED to work or is it just some random stuff to play with and slap something together?

Two: I'm trying to get her running, and I know she will, but I need to know a few things (and wait for my pamco in the meantime). What is the light blue wire that goes to the sensor in the top of the crankcase on the rearward left hand side? It is joined to the wiring that comes from the alternator, and goes into the same white quik-connect plug as well. Is it needed? Because mine is cut off at the sensor, and I have no idea what purpose it really serves anyhow.

Three: What is the correct way to space a mag wheel with a drum brake on the TCBROS hardtail? Run to the hardware store and pick up 5 pounds of washers and play with it til she fits? I have exactly 8.5 inches between the two plates. Does the stock spool-looking spacer get used here?

Lastly: When I get the Pamco (Part # 14-0902) it has everything but the condensor and battery required to run the bike, is this correct?

THANK YOU!
Logan

The sensor on top of the crankcase is for the neutral light. The Pamco's don't need a condensor as the points did.

So the wire AND sensor can both be removed entirely with no issues other than no neutral light, which doesn't matter with no gauges?

I know the neutral light is all fine and dandy, and I like it on a standard bike. However, I won't have a gauge cluster or any unnecessary wiring routed on this machine at all. That means if it's nothing but a dash light, it will have to go. I'm merely asking if I'm to 'cap' it off somehow, or just pull it all out and put a plug in the crankcase.

The pamco needs a REG/REC then, is that correct? (I don't know what I was thinking with the condenser..) It's the little silver finned thing that bolted to the seatpost with 2 bolts, and has the wires that terminate at the white quik-connect plug.

Thanks for the help folks

I think I found the correct spacing for my rear end setup. The axle is inserted from the right hand side, and goes thru the chain adjuster then axle plate then the other half of the chain adjuster, then the 'spool' looking thing that was on the stock bike, then the drum brake, then wheel, then the other silver collared thing also from the stock bike, then the chain adjuster and axle plate on the left hand side. The castle nut *JUST* has enough room to get a cotter pin back into it. And the chain is pretty close to perfectly straight on the sprockets. The only modification I should need is to add washers to the chain adjusters to be able to clamp them down tight without bending them.

Any ideas on the tank mounting, folks? I'd like to figure it out soon.

And the PAMCO is scheduled to arrive Friday, looking forward to that one. Also getting myself the starter block-off kit from Mike, and some 54mm pod filters while I'm at it.

Yes you need a reg/rec no matter what ignition you use. The reg/rec just keeps your battery charged.
On the 80 and later bikes the reg/rec is a single unit mounted just as you described.
On the earlier models they were two seperate inits.
The newer single unit reg/rec are much better at controling the voltage. No high voltage spikes to kill your ignition.
You will like the Pamco. Much simpler than the TCI box set up. And it's not 30+ years old.

i capped my neutral wires, no problems. i'm going to have one in the future.

the light has a brown wire (hot) and the blue *i think* just grounds it to the motor when you hit neutral. but don't quote me on that

:laugh: Thanks for the laugh :thumbsup:

I may just use the screw in part as the 'block off' effectively.... the wires are cut right at the plug anyway.

Back