A first for me

DLD1

Mechanical Stuff Nut
Reaction score
I've been working on cars and motorcycles for over 40 years now, and I had a first today. My XS started running bad on the way home, so I went to check it out, and found fuel leaking from the right carb. I pulled it and checked the needle and seat, which were fine. Upon further inspection, I found the float sunk. I could hear the fuel sloshing around in the float when I shook it. After all these years, some of them racing, this is the first time I've experienced a sunk float personally.
Just wanted to share that.

DLD1

Never had it happen on any of my cars or motorcycles but I did have it happen to me on a a riding mower once.... it was pouring gas out the vent..... I had to get a new float...

Last edited:
well thanks for sharing that DLD1 :D

Actually I have also wrenched my own cars and bikes for over 40 years (all the A and B series engines , Jags, etc ) and I have never seen a leaking float either :wink2: Well done for stripping the carbs on the road! The only time I did that I got a faceful of gas in the eyes and staggered blindly into 3x lanes of carriageway traffic !:yikes:

Had the same thing happen on mine? Brass floats? Ha tried drilling a small hole, draining them and then soldering it shut, worked for a bit but ended up having to replace. Got sick of walking out to the garage to find gas everywhere each morning.

Yeah, I thought about trying to repair it, but;
1. I can't actually see where the leak is, even though I can hear the fuel sloshing around inside it.
2. I can replace it for $15.00, so why waste my time?

DLD1

Back