a lil help figuring this out.

Koy1964

Koy1964
Reaction score
I have an issue with my right side not firing (brake side). we have checked spark, although weak it is their, checked compression and fuel, it is all working properly. our next guess is points and timeing, any other ideas we might be missing?

weak spark could be a LOT of things. If the spark is weak you've got something to isolate.

I would work on getting that spark hot again, and find out why it's not.

Some causes of weak spark also cause timing issues.

What year, what kind of ignition?

clean your points, hit with a file if pitted, check the point gaps, if there are sparks at the points your condenser is bad. swap coils and see if the problem moves to the left cylinder, check ohms on coils

well the motor has a starter so probably past 75 but not in the 80s from what i can tell. and its standard ignition with rectifier. im not that good with bikes i know cars more.. but yes we flipped the coils and there was no sparks from the condenser, have not checked ohms yet. as for the points they seem gapped larger than .016 but we didnt hit it with a feeler gauge. Ill check into the coils a lil more, i do know that both are cracked and do need to be changed but they seemed to be working fine but worth more investigation. I really dont wanna buy new coils if i might end up with the pamco setup, ie waste money.. thx

My '81 had the same issue..ended up being a combination carb (idle mix screw) & coil problem. Cleaned up the carb & it ran better but would foul out, repalced the coil with Mikes high output, new 7mm wires & caps & walla..pure bliss

if your points are misadjusted that can certainly do it.

I'm guessing no title.

Give us the first three numbers off of the motor and the frame.

i am certain of that too.. im still contemplating just changing it all anyway cause i need mostly new stuff from what i see but if its a small fix to get it on the road its another thing,,, anyone have a link to a manual for the points adjusting so i can have it on hand with my phone the next time i get to work on her... and bliss would be a treat ;)

i have the title and thats registered. The frames a 72 for sure, and we didnt check the motor and i dont have acess to it at this moment but can figure it out by tonight.

ok.

I recommend you invest in a clymers for the bike. That'll give you something to read while you're not wrenching.

That's what all us cool fools do.

I'd just throw the whole ignition system in the garbage and start with a new one. If you have cracked coils, what is the condition of everything else? Probably not the worth the time and headache to mess with when it sounds like you are planning on a PAMCO anyway. :shrug:

I missed that comment... cracked coils? Cracked how? Unless those cracks are very superficial... ya know? Trashcan.

cracked meaning the outer case is split and syliconed shut, PO had it this way and i just saw they were still working so yeah a new coil/s is in order no matter what i do, and im very much leaning that way travis.

when they get old the case hardens - possibly someone left the bike on for a very long time and heated up the coils which caused expansion and cracking. Just theorizing.

in any case, yeah doesn't sound good.

Well i have installed a pamco and new coil with no luck, she is still not firing on that side, (yes i should have been a lil more attentive when i bought it but im in too deep now and ill be damned if this girl dont get on the road) my bet is that side needs a rebuild so i have her at a shop with a guy that gave me so much shit when i brought it in, i almost have to laugh, he was complaining about the way my friend built the battery box thats enclosed, he started asking questions (haha i have no clue on electronics) but i know my friend with an electronic engineer degree didnt do me wrong, he told me its unsafe before he even looked inside it, well my friend wasnt happy with his ignorance on it. than he started giving me crap when he asked me to start it (im looking at the charger thats on it wondering how i am supposed to kick it with it on), he was upset now that its only kick. I am certain that when hes done looking at it, he wont be working on it .
I brought her in so i could just diagnose the problem but im sure i wont learn shit, meanwhile i contacted blue cat up here (thanx to the insight from a post on here earlier) and ill probably have it rebuilt completely.

I am sure many of you are laughing at my idiocy but im learning and thats what matters to me, thx for listening and have a good day!
Charlie

Koy...,

Wait...Wait...youve got a PAMCO on it now so you are getting spark to both sides if you are getting it to one, so effectively you have narrowed the problem down to probably the carb on the cold side, so just do some basic checks and stay with it. We can collectively help you get it on the road.

Before we leave the ignition, did you replace the spark plugs, wires and caps with the new PAMCO?

The fist step is to check and see if you are getting fuel to the bowl of the carb. Remove the drain plug from the bottom of the bowl and see if there is any gas in there. You could also try some starter fluid to see if that cylinder will fire if it gets some fuel.

hey pete, thx, okay ill start with what i have done to solve the issue, i flipped carbs, flipped the plugs, coils even cables nuthing was working. this morning i got a call from the shop i had brought it to, he solved the issue and it was a the timing being very off so both sides are now firing, and hell she sounds good that way. he also went over other problems its having my tank is at a bad angle for the petcock so fuel is not moving as freely and a few other minor things but overall she is closer to the road i am now just working on spacing the front caliper/wheel and syncing the carbs and it will be on the road just in time for lovely mn winter...
I am sorry i was very frustrated and pissed at many things lately, the death of my stepmother, which now i have my father to take care of, moving, new job, and the bike. headaches after headaches. im sure there is good things coming but they need to get here quicker lol... thx all

Back