A long time driving these bikes I am just wondering if there is knowledge available about the use of this E10 petrol..?

dirtyfuerty

10yearProject
Reaction score
What is the craic with the E10 petrol now ... any info at all would be appreciated..I'm on an XS 2 (1972)..I'm posting from Ireland...I'm mechanical of mind .. but am ignorant to the chemistry of this new juice.

Try to avoid it and avoid problems
Ethanol catches water that can give problems rust
The machine including seals and gasket was not designed for those chemicals which was not in the plan
The ignition can need adjustment and since these bikes don't like to advanced ignition its a risk

I only use oils that was from the same time period .Designed for .Some get problems with slipping clutches
can be Wear but that is how I do it.

" Real Fuel " might cost a bit more but when your carburetor is clogged with rust in the summer .
You will swear as many before you have done

What is the craic with the E10 petrol now ... any info at all would be appreciated..I'm on an XS 2 (1972)..I'm posting from Ireland...I'm mechanical of mind .. but am ignorant to the chemistry of this new juice.
Avoid E10 at all costs!
E10 is now the UK standard as required by the Government to reduce emissions.
E5 has 5% ethanol in the mix(E10 = 10%); which absorbs water. If the fuel is left standing it will separate and corrode many parts.
I have a tank that was on a bike in a man cave sat on its side stand for years. the remaining fuel separated and the tank has a leak now.
Esso E5 in many of their garages is actually E0; so no ethanol; but you need to check.
I run Shell V-Power E5 in my XS650 usually as Its difficult to find E0 in South Wales.
I now drain the tank and carbs if the bike is left for any length of time.

I learned to dislike e-10 while working as a Stihl technician. It is death to 2 -strokes espcialy when left in the tank all winter. Fortunately Quick Trip stations in my area ,K.C. ,sell non- ethanol premium. I never think twice about paying a little extra for it. Before it became available I was cleaning my carburetors once a year even though I rode year round and the bike rarely sat for long. Have had no issues for the last four years with no ethanol fuel. While our xs machines don't require the higher octane, no ethanol is worth every penny if you can get it.

yes stations with a separate hose for each grade (Kwik Trip) are nice. Then again a bit of ethanol in a regularly used fuel system can actually sop up any lurking water in the tank. When filling chainsaw cans I tend to run a gallon into the car then fill the 2stroke can.
It's a bummer getting some regular price gas when you're paying a buck a gallon extra for premium non ethanol.
Prolly a leap of faith that you actually get what you pay for by depending on some unseen pump blending mechanism/solenoid valves.
Quote from an ADV rider posting:

I contacted Shell Canada about this being concerned about the fuel for my 2-stroke equipment which states to use NON-ethanol fuel only.
The reply I got was:
Hello

On the use of a single hose to dispense multiple grades of fuel - Shell standards for these multiple grade single hose pumps are for a smaller diameter hose to reduce the amount of fuel left over from a previous dispense. The fuel grade change point is directly above the hose connection resulting in a residual volume of 0.56 liters for small diameter hose, or 0.78 liters if the pump happens to be equipped with a non-standard large diameter hose. While this amount will have only a very small effect on a typical car fill up, the effect is larger on 2 cycle equipment or a motorcycle tank with limited capacity.
end quote

I had contacted Shell because they had recently renovated the local station which lost the dedicated Premium pump in that reno. All the other gas stations here had already been converted to blender pumps. I flush the pump hose into the vehicle, then I make my 2-stroke mix.

end quote, youz payz yer money and takes yer chances.

Back