A part I could use but Mikes don't make it.

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like re-torqueing my Heritage Special's cylinder head has fixed the oil seepage but I had to remove it's empty points and advance covers to get at the bolt heads hidden under the sparkplugs (and NO, I can't get at them with my 3/8" square drive sockets unless I do)
What I'd be in the market for and can't find in anyone's catalog is a pair of flat plates to replace the inner covers.
1/2" or perhaps 5/8" thick, 3 counterbored holes to bolt it on, profile to match the inner cover and a blind pocket to fit the cam seal and o-ring.
~$ 75 the pair would be a fair price.

Yes, you can access those bolts with the housings still in place. Use a wobble extension .....

WobbleExtension.jpg

I do it this way all the time. Yes, the chrome cover needs to come off but not the housing.

Hey fred,

http://www.heidentuning.com/p/28/3539/mo74-cg|22=6/#ht-2771-camshaft-aluminium-sidecovers-[new-!]

Don't know aboot fair, but they sure are purdy.

Shipping tho... :shrug:

Hi NONclow,
that's mebbe CAD$100 but like you say, the shipping will most likely kill the deal.
And Gee! I thought I'd dreamed up a new thing, too.
Reminds me of the time I designed things for the nuclear industry and drew up a machine that decontaminated small items.
Boss clapped me on the shoulder and said:-
"Congratulations Fred, you have invented the dishwasher."

the shipping will most likely kill the deal.
In my experience, Heiden does not charge North Americans for shipping. Go to the check-out and you will see. They do this because they save so much by not having to pay the VAT that they normally pay to European countries. I can't guarantee this is still their policy, but it's worth looking into.
60 euros is lot closer to your target of $75 than it is to $100. Heiden makes nice things.

In my experience, Heiden does not charge North Americans for shipping. Go to the check-out and you will see. They do this because they save so much by not having to pay the VAT that they normally pay to European countries. I can't guarantee this is still their policy, but it's worth looking into.
60 euros is lot closer to your target of $75 than it is to $100. Heiden makes nice things.

if you go with heidens,do not pay at check out but send a message first and then they will do a adjustment for non ecu countrys...a lot cheaper but they don't mention it on their site

Looks like re-torqueing my Heritage Special's cylinder head has fixed the oil seepage but I had to remove it's empty points and advance covers to get at the bolt heads hidden under the sparkplugs (and NO, I can't get at them with my 3/8" square drive sockets unless I do)
What I'd be in the market for and can't find in anyone's catalog is a pair of flat plates to replace the inner covers.
1/2" or perhaps 5/8" thick, 3 counterbored holes to bolt it on, profile to match the inner cover and a blind pocket to fit the cam seal and o-ring.
~$ 75 the pair would be a fair price.
I made a very short socket, for that purpose. However, I also ground a little off of
the top corner of my 3/8" drive torque wrench. (Really didn't take much)
I have been using that "extra-short" socket for 37 years on my '77D.
Give it a shot. . . . It will save you a lot of extra work when you re-torque your head

- - - I have been using that "extra-short" socket for 37 years on my '77D.
Give it a shot. . . . It will save you a lot of extra work when you re-torque your head

Hi DL,
what? I'll have to do that again???
Thing is, I have a bad habit of making special wrenches and loosing them before I need them again.
And as my covers got nothing inside them it's not hard to remove them, just gave me a WTF? moment, is all.
And who knows, mebbe I'll get a set of Heiden covers for Christmas.

Since I have a '77 with points, I'm not familiar with covers with "nothing inside them"
Thanks for the response.

It really doesn't matter what's inside them, it's the housings themselves that are in the way. You'll have to forgive me as I'm rather new to the XS650, having only owned one for 9 or 10 years. Maybe I shouldn't be using the wobble extension. Maybe I should grind down sockets or pull the whole housing off ...... or maybe not.

For as long as this bike has been around, I figured all its little secrets would be discovered by now. I found out when I first got mine that wasn't true. Yes, I learned lots from forums like this but I also discovered much on my own. Stuff I felt should have been common knowledge. But it wasn't. Probably never will be because it requires the use of common sense, a rare commodity today.

5twins,
I'm sorry, but you sound a little sarcastic. When I suggested using a short socket, it was
before I saw your post about the "wobble" extension (which I thought was a good idea)
I've always enjoyed learning from your experience. I thought the guy was having to remove
the points plate and an advance unit so he could take off the housings.

common sense ain't so common.
working ata metal fab shop, I have to be very creative. Everyday Im just floored at the round about ways the fng's get to the final product.
Ease up big guy, We were all new at some time....even you.

my 3/8" drive 12mm socket and old craftsman 3/8 breaker bar fit with no mods. Put the socket on the bolt then the breaker bar in the socket. I must be a freakin genius. I just arm bar the torque setting. at least 8 or 10 heads so far now with no leaks. Doing another one tomorrow. 79 with 5000 miles on it. Pulled the motor out today, (by my 60 year old self) it's getting swapped into my other 79 "for now".

Back